Yoga 3 Pro Freezes Constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurdekye

Estimable
Jun 27, 2014
I've had my Yoga 3 Pro for about a year now, and so far it's served me incredibly well. Just recently however, it began freezing randomly during use for no discernable reason. The screen would lock up, any sounds playing would either stop or repeat indefinitely, and I would end up having to restart it. It slowly began happening more and more often, until I decided to refresh my OS from the built in recovery partitíon that comes with the laptop. After finishing and deleting a couple unnecessary bloatware programs, the problem only seemed to just get worse somehow. Now, it freezes once every 5-10 minutes, and I can barely get any work done on it. Do I have any other options besides sending it back to Lenovo? I can't easily go without my laptop for that long.

Boogieman_WD

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
Hi Maurdekye.

It sounds like there might be an issue with the SSD or RAM, or maybe the SATA port/cable of the SSD. I'd recommend that you backup any important data which you might have on that drive, just to be on the safe side. After that go ahead and download an SSD diagnostic tool to see the SMART data and if there's anything unusual going on. You could also download a RAM diagnostic tool to test your memory as well.

Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Boogieman_WD

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
That's odd. If this is the case, it might be a faulty SATA cable/port. Other than that, I'd recommend that you update your anti-virus program's database and make a full scan and do the same with an anti-malware program as well to see if they find any threats.
Do you get any specific errors at all when something like this happens? Have you noticed if this happens when you are doing something in particular e.g. only when you play music, open a video etc?

Maurdekye

Estimable
Jun 27, 2014
I doubt that it could be the cause of a virus, since I recently just refreshed my OS, but I ran malwarebytes anyway. It came up with 0 threats.

The crashes seem to happen at seemingly random times; sometimes while browsing the internet, sometimes while searching through folders, and even sometimes during the lock screen. Occasionally, i'd open my laptop up to find it had frozen in it's sleep. Although, it does seem to happen somewhat more often while I'm doing relatively "intensive" tasks, such as watching youtube videos and using skype.

Boogieman_WD

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
Well I'd normally recommend that you do a system restore to a previous point, but you've already tried it and didn't prove useful. Try updating/reinstalling the drivers and/or update OS. I know it's going to be a lot of a hassle, but it might prove useful. Although those freezes might also mean a SATA connection problem as I've suggested in my previous post. You could also try making a fresh install of Windows if you have a retail copy of it, to see if that helps.
Ultimately if everything fails, you don't have much choice, but to send it for repairs. :(

Captain_Dawdle

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015
Mine started doing this in mid-July as well.... Has anyone found a solution for this? I disabled the dynamic platform thermal framework in the BIOS and that fixed it for a few hours and then it started again. Mostly seems to happen anytime I move the laptop. I checked the events log and it has the same message every time (for processors 0-3) "The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report." The only way to stop the freeze is to force shutdown by holding the power button and then it takes longer then it should to boot up after each episodes. Happening more than once an hour some days. Ran the Lenovo Hardware Diagnostic Full Scan (as recommended by the support people) but got back a 100% pass rate. I am currently awaiting a response back from support to see what they want to try next, but it would be great to know if anyone has made any progress here.

Revihs

Estimable
Aug 12, 2015
This just started happening to my yoga 3 as well. It freezes everytime the laptop is moved, or even small motions. It works fine when it sits still, but i cannot even remove it from my lap without it freezing. Could it be a weak cable connection?

Captain_Dawdle

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015
Just an update on my yoga 3, did a full restore as recommended by Lenovo and within 5 mins it froze again when moved. I imagine at this point they are going to have me send it in. I will update again if/when they tell me anything that may help others experiencing this problem.

Revihs

Estimable
Aug 12, 2015
I have also had some problems with my wifi adapter. And one time the computer booted up, i notices wifi was gone. Looked in device manager and noticed that Windows couldn't start the adapter. Then I realised that once the adapter was disabled, I could move and even shake mye PC without it freezing up.

It's not a solution, but try to open Device Manager and disable the Broadcom wifi adapter, and see if you can move your PC as well.

This problem is getting very strange...

Aug 21, 2015
i had the similar probelm with my Lenovo U310 ideapad and i faced the same issue with Lenovo Yoga 3 14 inches as well. Lenovo is very poor in terms of managing the freezing issue. they have invested a lot in look and feel but never bothered to fix the core issues which is one of the big disadvantage attached with Lenovo.

I would never recommend anyone ot buy Lenovo laptop, its not worth.

Chris_4

Estimable
Aug 20, 2015

^^^ Not helpful in any way so why? Anyways from the sound of it its almost like there's a problem with the orientation sensor. Can you lock it so it doesn't auto orientate? If that doesn't work see if you can figure out if the auto orientate is a device in the device manager and disable it.

Captain_Dawdle

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015
So here is my update after Lenovo repair.

They said there was a fault with the displays COAX cable. Basically it was loose/faulty and every time the laptop moved the cable couldn't handle that. They've replaced the cable and say they stress tested the laptop and it no longer had the fault. I'll let you guys know when I have it back though if the fault continues. Hope this helps someone else as well.

jsap09

Estimable
Oct 13, 2015
Hi everyone ,

I've owned Yoga 3 Pro for a year now and this problem started around mid-September 2015. The problem started when I got a virus through a shared Dropbox folder. A week after the virus my computer started freezing, luckily I had a Corporate McAfee Anti-Virus installed. The virus was removed and I removed myself from the shared folder. The freezing has increased dramatically to the point where I've restarted my computer more than 7 times trying to write this thread.

Here's what I've done:
-Ran a full virus scan: Nothing was found and freeZing rate didn't change.
-Reinstalled Windows OS: Still kept freezing
-Installed Windows 10: Still kept freezing

Next Steps:
-Call Lenovo for them to try for them to repair this problem.
Also I want to mention that I thought the problem was because of too much movement, but even when the computer is completely still it freezing.

Anyone that has talked to Lenovo, have they provided a solutions to this?

Thanks

jsap09

Estimable
Oct 13, 2015
Update:
Called Lenovo and they asked me to the a hard reset, and I did that of course didn't work. They sent me an email with all the information I needed to ship my computer.

I got an update saying that it was my hard drive that was malfunctioning, and said that they didn't have the part and that they had ordered the part.

I decided to call to get an update on the part that was missing, and every time I got a very vague answer. After this I called once every other day with a lot of frustration, since this is my only computer. They expedited my case and on Wednesday Nov. 11, 2015 I got a call from a manager saying that they were just going to replace my computer for a new one. I had the choice from the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro or the new Lenovo Yoga 900.

Hopefully Lenovo has learned from this and this will not happen with the Yoga 900.

GeekMan108

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
This might be the solution. I've had this Yoga 3 Pro freezing problem for about 6 months. It's only the last month that I discerned it would freeze when the screen was moved. Apparently there's a sensor in the hinge.

I read in this thread that disabling the wifi adapter seemed to keep it from freezing so as weird as it sounded, I went into the device manager to try disabling it. Instead, before disabling it, I right-clicked to see if there was a driver update (for the Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter driver under Network Devices). There was an update available, which is unusual, as I don't think I've ever had it find an update through the device manager. So, I let it update over the web and it completed in about 20 seconds.

I then moved the screen again to test it, and it froze again --- just like the previous 7-10 freezes I'd just endured in the past 30 minutes, which always required a hard reboot by holding down the power button.

Seeing it didn't work, I rebooted, realizing the driver was updated but obviously not loaded until rebooted (duh). I rebooted and have not had it freeze since, even though in the past whenever I would move the screen (open or close it even a tiny bit), it would freeze. I'm swinging it forward and back full tilt now and nothing. No freezing.

Is it fixed? Seems to be but time will tell. If it lasts the week, I'll consider it a true fix and will post back here. If it turns out to be a true fix, this should be reposted on Lenovo and other forums as I've looked everywhere for a solution to this and know that many others are also trying to solve this VERY annoying problem and that Lenovo has been 100% USELESS in solving it (shame on them for their horrid support in handling this major problem). Did I mention I will never buy another Lenovo as long as I live after this? Nice going, Lenovo. Anyway, it can't hurt to at least try disabling/updating the Broadcom driver if you have this freezing issue.

I was on Windows 8.1 for the past 9 months or so, then just upgraded to Windows 10 thinking it might help fix the freezing, but it didn't help at all. As a side note, if you're on Windows 10 or thinking of upgrading, I recommend Spybot's free Anti-Beacon, which is anti-telemetry software that blocks Win 10 from calling home and wherever else and spying the crap out of you (I'm about to switch to Apple as Microsoft is being a bunch of evil nitwits with this pure spyware masquerading as an operating system).

Let me know if either disabling or updating the Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter driver helps anyone else. Just right click it under Network Adapters and then click "Update Driver Software" or you can try disabling it from there if no update is available. For me, it updated to version 7.35.338.0, which was released 12/10/2015, so it's a pretty recent update.

Maybe it's just a weird coincidence because who on earth would suspect that a wifi driver would have anything to do with a laptop freezing when the screen is moved/adjusted? Bizarre. But, I'm VERY happy for now. If this ends up being the fix, major props and thanks to Revihs for pointing out this apparent connection between the freezing and the wifi driver. Would not have guessed that in a million years.

Benny_7

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016
worked for me, updated broadcom driver, yoga pro 3 back to normal no more freezing :) thank you!!

Masita_1

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
I disabled the broadcom wifi adapter after upgrading the driver doesn't solve the problem. I still don't understand how moving the notebook causing the wifi adapter to freeze the windows. Now I have to use usb wifi adapter and the problem has gone away. I hope Lenovo comes up with a solution to this. Hopefully a wifi driver that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.