Youtube slows down internet speed by more than 90%

maximilianstich93

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
Hi,
I was just downloading something from Netflix with my WiFi, when i noticed that playing a YT video slows down the internet speed from 25-10 Mb/s to 2 Mb/s- 200Kbit/s. That makes youtube too slow to use and the netflix download would take hours. Is that normal?

LORDPrometheus

Estimable
Oct 3, 2014
What you are describing is exactly what you should expect to see. Don't picture every device having its own internet connection since in reality you have one connection going to your modem and then to your other devices either through WiFi or Ethernet. If you split one water pipe into two pipes of half the diameter of the first pipe you have the same amount of water going through in total but half as much to each side of the split.

maximilianstich93

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017

I know! That´s not what i´m trying to explain...

Okey, lets imagine the internet connection is a waterpipe. As soon as i open a Youtube video the waterpipe splits in half but both pipes only get a few drops. Before 25 liters went through one pipe and now 1 liter of water goes through both pipes. Where is the rest of my water ???

Youtube is NOT taking its portion of data, it is slowing down the whole traffic without itself getting enough data.
Maybe its somekind of virus?