Z906: amp + high end speakers?

olivierhacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Hi,
I currently have the Logitech Z906 speaker system. According to the specifications, the amp delivers 67 watts to each speaker-input. I am planning to use Infinity Infinitesimal speakers (2 of them) for the front speakers. Does the amp in the Z906 have sufficient power for these speakers?
Specs of the Infinity speakers:
Power rating: 10 to 80 watts per channel, RMS
Frequency response: 100Hz- 40kHz +- 3dB
Crossover Frequency: 5000Hz
Efficiency: 90dB @ 1 Watt, 1 meter
Nominal impedance: 6 ohms

Personally I wouldn't try it but you will get some sound out. You might blowup the amp in the logitech(and the speakers).

This is a computer speaker setup and not made to use hifi stereo speakers.

Happy listening, the Prisoner

olivierhacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Why would it be dangerous? The speakers wouldn't 'use' more watts than the amp can supply, right?

olivierhacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I have the speakers linked to the amp for a day now, works perfectly :) Won't set the volume too much, i am afraid they will use beyond what the amp can offer :p
But flawless results so far!

Ubersham

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Hi,

I just got my z906 speakers Friday, but I didn't get a chance to test them with my multimeter yet. I should have a chance tonight or tomorrow. When I do, I'll post the impedance measurement of the satellites. This is the MOST important feature of the speakers and sub/amp. If the original satellites are <6 ohms, then you'll be fine to run them with the sub/amp. If the original satellites are >6 ohms, then your speakers could overdrive the sub/amp (unlikely but possible,) even if you keep the volume at a nominal level.

If I may ask, how do the Infinity speakers sound? From my quick test on Friday, I concluded that the original z906 satellites sound awful out of the box. They might improve as I break them in, but for right now, I'm wondering if I should consider using the satellites from my old x540 system instead (assuming the z906 satellites are 4 ohm speakers, I should be safe as long as I don't overdrive the smaller x540 satellites with the more powerful sub/amp.)

Again, when I get a chance to test the speakers, I'll post again here and then I can say for sure if it's safe to use your speakers.

olivierhacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Well, the speakers sound great and have been working very well so far! I am a bit unfamiliar with all the terms relating to this topic (ohms etc.) but the Infinity's are rated at 6 ohms whereas the standard speakers are rated at 4 ohms. According to my knowledge, this means that the Infinity's require 33% more power form the amp than the standard speakers? The wattage needed for wach Infinity speaker is 10-80W, and the amp delivers 67W to each channel (at 4 ohms, I presume). Thus, they provide 80+ W at 6 ohms??

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
The amplifier that support those satellites speakers for Z906 are designed for higher frequency, the low end frequency is delivered by the sub. while your Infinity Infinitesimal speakers requires 100 Hz and up for it to play bass frequency. You can applied lower than 100 Hz on the Infinity Infinitesimal speakers and its ok. But you're more likely not get that on the Logitech amplifier.

However, your Infinity Infinitesimal speakers will have better highs than one came with the Logitech.

douglasw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
You say you just bought the Z-906..what type of sound card are you using plus are you hooked up by Analogue...One thing i like about the Z-906 you have the option to hook up by via opticial cable...But if you dont go optical you also have a the option to go coaxial which is just as good if you have the right soundcard and software... If you have any of the X-Fi creative sound cards it really opens your options to get that real Dolby Digital Live 5.1 surround...Myself i have the Z-5500 and using the Creative X-fi fatality 1 pro series sound card and im hooked up by coaxial using the Dolby Digital Live DTS Pack you can buy on line for $4.72 which upgrades your control panel...man what quality sound and you get alought of action coming from the speaker cross and from corner to corner true 5.1 and the upgrade only cost me $21 bucks to buy the software the 10ft RCA male to male shielded cable and the adapter to go into the sound card which is a RCA female to stereo jack adapter

davidwarner04

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I prefer Downloading Technical Card For Speaker Installation.Recently downloaded for Sonus monitor wood - resource (audio solutions Sydney).

batuchka

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Bad idea - the cheap, muddy logitech sound is going to totally ruin those Infinity speakers! Get a proper amp/receiver, an 8-10" subwoofer and set the crossover frequency on the sub accordingly ^^

olivierhacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Wow life moves fast... I was looking for emails on Z906 and found this.

For anyone wondering (I remember receiving a few PMs in the past few years) this setup is still working flawlessly more than four years on. I have also used high volume on certain occasions, no problem. But what batuchka said is quite true; hifi speakers on the Z906 amp with default satellites will not let them shine, although the difference is certainly noticeable :)

jerfb70

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016

FYI: I am using a Z906 with the rear of the sub on a thermostat controlled fan system with all speakers (5) NHT absolute zeros at 6 ohm impedance needing 20-100 watts. The sound difference is amazing with the Logitech speakers very subdued and muddy. The NHT's are bright and precise. The NHT"s have been on the system for 5 years with no noticeable degradation of sound.

jerfb70

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016

Have considered it several times but my computer/radio room is a bit small with many radio receivers listening to and decoding digital transmissions. If I listen to music I use a headroom triple stack fed optical to Sennheiser 800's with a balanced cable configuration. My home theater is from a Yamaha RX-Z11 to NHT Classic Fours separately amped to each sub. Using Classic Threes as the 4 surrounds and a Classic Three Center watching a Pioneer 60" Kuro. Took much scrimping and saving to put all this together but very pleased and proud of the set up. Think I got the last Headroom triple stack Headroom had in stock, amazing sound.