1 - what are all the computer specs needed for chrome with 100-1000+ tabs to run smoothly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
1 - what are all the computer specs needed for chrome with 100-1000+ tabs to run smoothly?

8g ram on win10 is not enough, need 16g ram

opening lots of tabs makes computer very slow -- for a long long time..

what are the specs to resolve all these problems

2 - would using chrome on win10 or chromeos make any signficant difference or no?

3 - are there any key tests to run on the current computer (and to test on future new computer to make sure all is working stable)? to see what's up with chrome?

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
we have had questions like this before.no one,and i mean no one,could keep track of 100 tabs,let alone 1000.no shit it slows down your computer.if you can show me one reason why you would need this many tabs open at the same time i apologize.otherwise .....

Mortem420

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017
Umm.... for what reason would you ever need 100-1000+ tabs open all at once in any internet browser? If anything Google Chrome is just hands down one of the fastest browsers. I've also heard that Microsoft edge built into Windows 10 is really good but i wouldn't know cause in my opinion Win 10 is garbage and im sticking with Win 7 Ultimate as long as possible. And i dont think it'll make any difference if your running chrome on a chrome os pc. And what do you mean by key tests to run?? Honestly even having upwards of 100 tabs open all at once seems a little ridiculous, i dont really think the browser itself is optimized to have that many tabs open. Also that many tabs at once would probably grind your internet to a halt, if anything else, cause then your taking up all the network resources by having 100 tabs loading at the same time

jasonkaler

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
complicated question, the first thing that comes to mind is: why would you ever need 1000 tabs?

That question aside, chrome's memory usage is largely dependent on the contents of what is open. I had stormfall age of war open and that uses about 1 gig of ram and 1 cpu core, so *100 = 100 gigabytes of ram and 100 cpu cores to run well.
Where as google's search page (not the results) only uses a few megs, so hundreds of those will not have as much impact.

What you need to do is benchmark it i.e. look at memory usage without chrome open, then open chrome with 10 tabs, of the normal stuff you will be browsing.
Now look at how much more memory is used.
That will give you an indication of how much memory you need per tab and multiply that by the amount of extra tabs you need.

ARICH5

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
i read all the answers, but i think there would be a internet, isp, packets, ping, limitation before the computers hardware would crap out. interesting.
say open 1 gif on 1 page in chrome and then open the same page 100 more times. i think your network would stop before the pc's hardware would.
on the other hand do the same in korea where bandwidth is almost unlimited (with the same pc) and see the results then.

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
the only helpful reply so far:

* so are you saying ram is the only and main thing that matters?

cpu

ssd

none of these and nothing else matters for hw?

does the type or anything else about the ram matter? or is it just the amount?

1 - 1000+ tabs? I would say 128GB of RAM because there will be a lot of data that needs to be stored in memory. I laptops are typically limited to 32GB of RAM. The exception are laptop workstations which can have up to 4 RAM slots which allows for 64GB of RAM. 128GB of RAM is typically limited to certain desktop workstations and have 8 RAM slots.

2 - Chromebooks typically only have at most 8GB of RAM from what I have seen. That limits how many open Chrome tabs you can have.

Get at least quad core CPU in a desktop because all those open tabs will have a lot of background coding that needs to be processed when opening up a new tab. Get an SSD because there will be a lot of disk caching taking place even with 128GB of RAM.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from computerbroken : "how would cpu be decided? how to determine what would be the minimum needed cpu? for chrome with ~100-1000+ tabs?"

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
it's unclear what is minimum for the cpu

any definitive solutions/answers on that?

---

the ram type doesn't have a direct answer yet:

does the type or anything else about the ram matter?

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006

You won't get a clear answer, as there isn't one.

Let's start from a different position, what's your budget, I'm thinking that the difference between having a machine that can cope with 10s of tabs and one that can cope with 100-1500+ is on the order of an extra £1500 on top of a good build, so turning a £1000 build into a £2500+build. So what's the budget and we'll build something that will do the best within that constraint. If that budget doesn't work for you, change your work flow.

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
going to build a machine so needed those answers

without them, no way to or cant really make any good or significant decisions

or i have no idea how to

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
as with money, nothing with money would ever matter with any topics in this universe

it's about worth and value, and if something is over the need or not

so (aka: can't make good or better decisions without data and new info)

or at least i have no idea how to

it's impossible

manddy123

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Just grab the newest multi-cored CPU ( probably Ryzen ) or even some Workstation like a Xeon, and a <mod edit> ton of RAM.
Or make yourself a cluster lol

There you go, the perfect workstation build.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006

Well that's the dilemma, you've asked a question that can't be answered, there may not even be an answer (i.e. it may not be possible, there may be OS issues at that number of tabs), you can't tell us about budget so we can't even give you best for your budget. The fact that this causes you a problem, is precisely that, your problem. We can help you if you can help us.

Some alternatives, do all of the these pages have to be active all of the time and accessible from the same place?
I'm thinking setting up n virtual machines with stripped down linux OS's and use these, then the load on the OS is kept to reasonable levels and building a host machine with enough ram will solve the problem.

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
hmmmmmmmmmmm....

* just getting the best pieces/component based on amaz ratings seems to be the optimal solution here and would seemingly solve everything (at least with performance)

* other comments mentioned the os is at fault, though it seems better hardware would just solve all this, so it seems the os doesnt matter

key problems appears to be:

* os is below need (still only 2017 and everything is progress too slowly)

* maybe it's heat from laptop (so 'regular' laptop that are widescreen and 8g ram is badly designed, still only 2017...)

* sites are badly designed, the structural presentation and design of sites frontend and possibly backend is bad, still only 2017

* the fastest internet possible in the current universe presumably cant handle many pings, 100 tabs is nothing, it's normal (still only 2017...)

these appear to be the core problems, which leads to all other problems

---

* tabs are already 'inactive', it's just chrome, cant handle basic stuff like the tabs being up (still 2017)

* even after they made the tab problem supposedly better... (wish that it was noticeable.... yep 2017)

* at least firefox can 1691 tabs -- http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/07/firefox-55-quantum-flow-tabs.

* but nobody uses that anymore -- https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14420972

---

this seems to be solved, this seemed to be not a problem of a value/worth

which means ignore all the tests/benchmarks/w/e

but a problem of

** just get the best shit based on high ratings so you know those shit are decent enough ** -- and be done with the problem,

so that you can deal with many other more important problems

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
ignore amazon ratings, that's possibly the worst way every of picking components.

a 16GB kit of memory will work the same as any other 16GB kit, the question is, is 16GB enough? Ratings will not help with that.

You appear to have missed the point of most of the posts, and the possible solution.

And still not answered 'why?'

Important caveats from the article.

As you can see: Firefox 55 with the quantum flow changes, takes just 15 seconds to open (but not load) 1691 tabs. By contrast, Firefox 51 takes almost 8 minutes to do the same thing.

Again, this is without all 1691 tabs being loaded. The tabs are simply open with the network off.

So basically, 1,691 blank tabs opened which does not contain any data from websites.

Here's an analogy... How long will it take you to "read" through a book with 1,691 of blank page vs a book with 1,691 pages full of words and be able to comprehend the story?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Hang on...I thought you had decided on a laptop?
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3490946/gettign-highest-rated-parts-amazon-lowest-cost-highest-rated-laptop.html

So...1,000 tabs open in a browser on a laptop size screen is...absolutely unmanageable.

A couple of years ago, some other member thought he needed some stupidly large number of browser tabs open.
On a lark, I decided to see just how many would open, with actual content, and not kill the PC.

At the time....i5-3570k, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro.
I got up to 'a few hundred' (300?), and the system slowed down to the point of unusability. Never actually crashed, but slooooow.
And of course, finding any particular tab was totally impossible. A needle in a haystack.

Status
Not open for further replies.