i sea

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I'm looking for a headset to take to college next year. I really don't know anything about heaphones. I just know I want something that can block out, say, a noisy roomate when I start college next year. It also needs to be comfortorable for me to wear hours at a time. I'm picking this out for my parents to get for me as a Christmas present, because they said they would get me some Bose headphones if I asked. So I guess I can pick anything around that price range... Anyways, I know my current sound setup wouldn't do justice to a 100-150 dollar pair of headphones, I just have some basic Altec Lansing speakers and a Realtek ALC888 chipset in the mobo. But that doesn't matter since ill be buying a new laptop next summer for college.

Oh, I'm not an audiophile by any measure. Bad hearing runs in the family(lol, jk) and I'm upgrading from a $15 headset that only says CA on it. No clue what that means but I don't use the microphone and it's lasted two years, up until recently when it started getting all staticy.

Anyone have any advice? I like the idea of an over-ear headset, but have never had one before.

hyperpsyched

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008

I would recommend Grado. The SR-60 and SR-80 are always well reviewed. Beyer-Dynamics makes a sweet set of cans as well id you spend a little more, and Sennheiser and AKG are also safe if you spend a bit more on their better offerings. For the money though, cent for cent, I would find a pair of Grados SR-60s. You will spend around 60 to 80 bucks, have a pair of head phones that will run with anything 3 times the price and have money left over for beer. You are going to college right? Oh, the SR-60s are easy to drive so they sound great running of of a portable rig (iPod) and they are kind of butt ugly so that no one will be quick to steal them unless unless they are in the know. No joke, close to Audiophile level sound for next to nothing.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I would not recommend Grado. You say you want something that can block out a noisy roommate, and Grados are very open, and don't block out a bit of outside noise. I'd go with a set of Sennheisers instead - they sound great too, and block more noise than the Grados do.

(Don't get me wrong - I have a set of Grado SR225's and love them, but I would never recommend them if one of the goals is noise reduction)

Thanatopsis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
I had a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40's for years that I was very happy with. Those run a little around $70. The ATH-M50's are a step up and would run right about in the middle of your price range. For what you want them for, I think you'd be better off with the 40's and spending the extra money on something else, they really are great sounding headphones. I'd recommend going to Guitar Center and checking out some yourself to see what you like the sound of as you really can't go wrong with my suggestions or any of the others that have been made to you.