2 Bad Screens, or MB?

stephenstud

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I have a Presario F500, and a V2000. The F500 screen flickers then goes dark. You can still see the screen if you put a flashlight on it. The V2000, has lines and a white bar on the right hand side of the screen. Both work fine hooked up to an external monitor. Everything I read seems to point towards bad screens. I just wanted someone elses opinion. Thank you for any help.

Solution
Replacing the inverter can be somewhat difficult as it requires removing the screen and the supporting brackets, then carefully removing the inverter leads from the cfl (they are generally soldered on). A full screen replacement is easier, but more expensive - you also need to make sure you get the same screen size and resolution as the original.

The cable is not to difficult, but does requires some rather unique twisting to get it to lay flat. Generally speaking, I doubt the ribbon cable has gone bad, but it's possible. Finding a replacement may also be difficult as the connectors may be specific to each laptop.

Either way it's a crap shoot, and I would recommend a complete screen replacement for both. There are a number of...

stephenstud

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Thank you. I have been doing a lot of reading on these 2. Some people say that the F500 needs a new inverter? Would it be easier to just replace the screen?

And the V2000 might be a bad cable? Could it be that easy?

I didnt want to tear into these things, untill I made sure they were woth it:) Thank you for the help!

markwp

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Replacing the inverter can be somewhat difficult as it requires removing the screen and the supporting brackets, then carefully removing the inverter leads from the cfl (they are generally soldered on). A full screen replacement is easier, but more expensive - you also need to make sure you get the same screen size and resolution as the original.

The cable is not to difficult, but does requires some rather unique twisting to get it to lay flat. Generally speaking, I doubt the ribbon cable has gone bad, but it's possible. Finding a replacement may also be difficult as the connectors may be specific to each laptop.

Either way it's a crap shoot, and I would recommend a complete screen replacement for both. There are a number of resellers who carry both factory OEM replacements and aftermarket replacements - just be sure you get a compatible unit. You can also check ebay for used units that have been parted out from dead laptops, but you run the risk of a unit that may not be "as advertised" or have a short life span.

Mark

Solution

stephenstud

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Its the backlight? I put on another screen from another laptop brand, and it worked fine. The screen was a little off, I'm sure because its not the right kind. But at least it stayed lit up....