2 External monitors, 1 not working

GRepMX30

Estimable
Feb 5, 2016
I have a 2013 V3-571-6769 Acer laptop. It has 1 HDMI port and 1 VGA port. I've been using the built-in laptop screen for a few months now along with a VGA Dell monitor. I recently purchased a 2nd monitor, which is using a DVI inside the monitor and an HDMI in the laptop (A DVI to HDMI converting cord). I have both plugged in, but my system will only let me use 1 other external output. No matter how much I mess around with it in the settings, 1 of the monitors will be automatically not used and shut off. Is this because I'm trying to extend a desktop over an analog (VGA) and an HD (DVI and built in) ?

Hi,

Just one question that may help us in solving the issue, which monitor is not working? (The VGA or the DVI-HDMI)

- First troubleshooting step you may want to try is to uninstall/reinstall the graphics card driver.
- In Device Manager uninstall your graphics driver.
- Check Programs and Features as well and uninstall anything related to your graphics card.
- Next is to download and install the latest driver from the manufacturers site.
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed..
- If these doesn't solve the problem the problem may lie with the cable that you're using (DVI-HDMI cable).
- There are different kind of DVI cables the one you might have used is not compatible with your monitor.