2 problems with a RCA atsc digital converter box

reble

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
I have a RCA ATSC digital brodcast converter box model DTA-809.
1st problem is the converter box is putting random garbage text on the screen. See the Dropbox link https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dzgp6z5seijdlu/rca%20converter%20box.jpg?dl=0 . The only way to get rid of the random garbage text is to turn the converter box power off then on. The garbage text will stay away for a few days to a week then it is back. Also if I record a prog the garbage text is on the recording also. How do I stop the garbage text permanently?

2nd problem. KEPR channel 19 has ch's 19.1, 19.2 and 19.3. The auto ch scan in the box will not see ch 19.3. the converter box receives all of the 12 to 13 UHF tv stations and the 2 VHF ch's (11.1 and 11.2) just fine except for ch 19.3 (Just to make it clear I am receiving this ch's over the air, not via cable or satellite tv). Now my Skyworth HD digital flat screen tv receives ch 19.3 just fine but my flat screen tv has no provision for composite video out (only audio out via headphone jack) to feed the combo dvd/vhs recorder that I have. Thus the need for the converter box. I can't manually input ch 19.3 via the remote because I don't have the original remote for the converter box. The remote I have (that is prog for the converter) can't enter ch's like 19.3, it doesn't have the provision for inputting a period then a number. It is an old analog universal remote. Channel 19.3 just came on the air about 2 months ago.

I have tried a hard reset on the converter box for both problems. But no change.

Steve

kanewolf

Judicious
My guess is that you will just have to replace the tuner box to get rid of the random text problem. That will also fix your remote problem. Does your flat screen use the same antenna as the RCA tuner box? If so, then the coax splitter has signal loss (which is normal), but it may reduce the signal enough that the RCA thinks it is too low on 19-3. Check antennaweb.org to verify the pointing of your antenna.

reble

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
Yes my flat screen tv uses the same antenna that the RCA tuner box does via a F type coax splitter. I did check signal strength. The built in signal strength meter in the flat screen tv reports full strength on ch 19.3 after I changed to a better active gain digital antenna. But the RCA tuner box still won't see ch 19.3 on the auto channel scan. All the broadcast tv stations are on top of "Jump off Joe". I have a clear view of "Jump off Joe". With a good set of binoculars I can just about read the station call letters on the door from my back yard.

Steve

Kanewolf wrote:
My guess is that you will just have to replace the tuner box to get rid of the random text problem. That will also fix your remote problem. Does your flat screen use the same antenna as the RCA tuner box? If so, then the coax splitter has signal loss (which is normal), but it may reduce the signal enough that the RCA thinks it is too low on 19-3. Check antennaweb.org to verify the pointing of your antenna.
Pick as the solution