2009 Gaming Headset Review Roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.

fozzie76

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
How big are your ears? Would the SteelSeries Siberia v2 fit on a guy that's 6'6" and can sometimes get lift from my big ears if the wind is strong enough? A comfortable headset is worth its weight in gold to me.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Hey fozzie!
Both my ears are roughly 2.75"(top to bottom) by 1.5"(left to right). The Siberia fits with room to spare, so unless your ears are the size of doormats, you should be in the clear.

-Devin

computer_veteran

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I'm pretty sure Astro Gaming bribed Tomsguide...if you can't figure this out by reading the above text, then it is simply sad. Read the Astro Gaming page. I wonder why Tomsguide included their website, and not others.

overshocks2

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
^Agreed, also what was the point with the stupid Zowie Hammer? Waste of time reviewing it, and not include Razer Megalodon? What about other price-performance headsets? This is a poorly done guide, plus the 5 categories are just bad. Convenience should not even be there that's for noobs, who can't connect wires?

Very disappointed.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Up considering the last headset is 250 bucks the Megalodon and G35 missing from the list seems a bit odd as they are only 150 and 130 bucks respectively

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]computer_veteran[/nom]I'm pretty sure Astro Gaming bribed Tomsguide...if you can't figure this out by reading the above text, then it is simply sad. Read the Astro Gaming page. I wonder why Tomsguide included their website, and not others.[/citation]

I included the Astro page because that's the only place you can buy their products. I did the same for the Tritton headset because its only available at Best Buy. The other four headset can be found at multiple retailers.

-Devin

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I vote Turtle Beach EarForce HPA2. It has great sound quality, as well as full 5.1 ch surround sound. Comfort is pretty good too (the HPA1's weren't so comfy, but the HPA2's made a big improvement).

I think it's kind of silly that the only headsets that got strong points in sound quality were the ones that were compatible with consoles...USB sound is generally horrible. I don't put much faith into those reviews...

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]quantumrand[/nom]I vote Turtle Beach EarForce HPA2. It has great sound quality, as well as full 5.1 ch surround sound. Comfort is pretty good too (the HPA1's weren't so comfy, but the HPA2's made a big improvement).I think it's kind of silly that the only headsets that got strong points in sound quality were the ones that were compatible with consoles...USB sound is generally horrible. I don't put much faith into those reviews...[/citation]

Neither of the console headsets use USB for sound, but rather for voice. The sound is via optical. Also, the Fatal1ty MKII got a 4/5 for sound, and it uses 3.5mm connectors.

-Devin

BlackDeath

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I would love to see you add to this review the Medussa 5.1 gaming headset.. it is a surround sound headset and should be matched up against this review..

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]BlackDeath[/nom]I would love to see you add to this review the Medussa 5.1 gaming headset.. it is a surround sound headset and should be matched up against this review..[/citation]
Speed-link is a great company when it comes to peripherals, but they aren't in the American market. The minute they set up shop here, we will review their products.

-Devin

tonitelaoag

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
for this article, wow is my word for the astro , thanks for the review, i like it very much, now i know what to buy, i seldom comment, but this one is a thumbs-up for tom's contributor Devin, more hands-on reviews like this please

BlackDeath

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I understand that they are not in the American market but since they can still be ordered and have been reviewed by other websites why would you not want to still do a review so that people that can attain them very easily can see a good comparison? I ordered mine a few years ago and paid about $110 and they were shipped from the UK. You can find them from sellers on ebay in the United States. I'm sorry Devin but I just do not feel that is a fair reason not to review them. I'm sure that when people do a search for gaming headset reviews they will come by this site and look at the list.. The larger your list the larger your review will appeal to the audience.. I happen to be one of many of these people in your audience.. The customer is always right :) So honestly besides you stating that they are not in the American market, which technically they are since you can find them.. What would it take for you to review them to make a larger review list?

To comment to Tonitelaoag.. I agree with what you said and I would love to see others besides the Medussa 5.1's from Speedlink be reviewed. Search the comments and I this is one of my selected posts.

Thank you for your consideration in advance Devin

Aaron

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I would have liked to see a review of the Turtle Beach HPX and the Sennheiser PC350 which are the main competition for the A40 headset at MLG events. Though, they all still use the Mixamp.

counterpart

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]dconnors[/nom]We reviewed the G35 and Megalodon a few months ago, that's why they weren't included this time...[/citation]

Fair enough. But it would have been interesting to see where the G35 falls in between the ones tested this time.

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
No Plantronics? Wow, I love their headsets, mainly because they're cheap and have relatively good sound quality. And no Logitech either?
Oh well, it's still a well written review, just would have liked to see my favorites on there :D

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
@BlackDeath
Getting a headset imported does not make it a part of the American marketplace. Are Japanese-only DS games a part of the American marketplace because you can get them imported? No.

In order for us to review something, it needs to be sold by one or several North American-based retailers, or the company in question needs to have representation in the US. If you do a Google product search for "Speedlink Medusa", only one entry shows up, and it is an eBay listing.

Nothing against Speedlink, it's just a strict rule we have here @ Tom's. As soon as Speedlink breaks into the N.A. market, we will review their products.

-Devin

G

I have the complete Astro system (headset + mixamp) and it is simply amazing. Excellent sound, comfort and build quality. The clarity of the mic is something else. People always mention it. Also the mixamp is incredibly handy for Xbox Live because you can raise or lower the voice chat volume independently of the game volume instantly.

Grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS