sannitig

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Hey all,

I'm building a HTPC to go with my 47" Vizio 240Hz model number SV471XVT1A-B. I need to know if I should get a 3-D Nvidia card for my HTPC that I want to build.

I was originally just going to slap together an HTPC with an integrated ATI 4200 but then thought wait, if I can get a 3-D picture then I will buy Intel and go with Nvidia 3-D card and those funky glasses for a bit more $$$.

So is 3D possible for my TV..??

is it even the TV that does the 3D or is it the PC??

I'm freaking confused I've done SO MUCH GOOGLING!! It's looking like i may be screwed.

please advise

ty

Solution

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
It's the PC that does the 3D although I have read that future TVs will support 3D directly.

I had an old ATI video card with the 3D glasses that work by an LCD shutter over each eye, and displaying part of the picture with one shutter open, the other closed, then displaying the other part of the picture with the first shutter closed & the other open, at half the usual 60 Hz display rate for an LCD display of course. Gave me a headache and of course the signal source has to be in 3D as well - games, movies, etc all have to output the 2 different perspective views since otherwise no 3D effects.

BTW, most likely that 240Hz refresh rate on your TV is just internal, and not externally accessible (like with my Sony 120Hz LCD TV's). All it does is just interpolate the external signal 3 times between frames and display the frame, the 3 interpolated 'frames', and then the next actual frame, so as to reduce perceived motion blur in sports or if you play games on the TV. I doubt you'll be able to connect up a 3D external source and have it alternate the 2 viewpoints 120 times a second. But that would go a long way towards relieving eyestrain-induced headaches, if possible..

sannitig

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
ok so...hmmmm....ok....hmmmmm

So if I went out and built a PC with an Nvidia 3D card and got the glasses I could watch 3D Avatar on my television, granted I buy the 3D version?? I think no because you said..

"BTW, most likely that 240Hz refresh rate on your TV is just internal, and not externally accessible (like with my Sony 120Hz LCD TV's). "

So what you're saying here is that the PC tells the TV to display the images @ different frequencies. Which means I WILL NOT be able to watch 3D picture because my TV is not "3D ready"...meaning its not ready to accept the commands of the pc (which is play these images at different rates)

"I doubt you'll be able to connect up a 3D external source and have it alternate the 2 viewpoints 120 times a second. But that would go a long way towards relieving eyestrain-induced headaches, if possible.."

Also I won't be doing this in 240hz I will be doing it in 120hz

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006

No, I think you misunderstood what I was saying, which was that you should not expect 240Hz or 120Hz performance with your 3D glasses, on your TV - not that it wouldn't work at all. The PC will most likely auto-default to 60Hz refresh rate for your TV since that is the default for LCD TVs. However let me back off my previous statement a bit - you may be able to get your 3D card to output at 120Hz since a lot of TVs have that as a feature nowadays. But the TV will also have to accept an external signal at the same frequency. You'll have to check the 3D card specs as well as your TV specs carefully before you buy.

Anyway, even if only 60Hz refresh rate, you'll still be able to watch the 3D version of Avatar on your TV. My point was that with each eye receiving its image at 30Hz (half the total refresh rate), it's a noticeable amount of flicker and, for me, caused eye fatigue and a headache after a while...

3D is still in its infancy from what I can see - I think there was a article on the front page here on Toms or maybe Dailytech about how some "3D" blu-ray players don't actually work in 3D, and will need to be recalled or get a firmware update. However my guess is that in a year or so, the technology will have most of the bugs ironed out and will be common on BD, video cards and high-end TV's, so that people like us go out & spend lots of $$ upgrading :D.. But yes I'm also anxious to experience Avatar in 3D HD so I'll probably be looking at the same thing you are in my next build...

Solution

sannitig

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
"Anyway, even if only 60Hz refresh rate, you'll still be able to watch the 3D version of Avatar on your TV. My point was that with each eye receiving its image at 30Hz (half the total refresh rate), it's a noticeable amount of flicker and, for me, caused eye fatigue and a headache after a while..."

Ya I don't know if I could deal with that. I think I will save my money and go ATI

Thanks for the help