4K@60FPS On YouTube stutters on a capable PC.

GooG - Daniel

Honorable
May 2, 2013
I just got a new RX 460 which is used a lot for 4K HTPCs but for some reason I still have terrible stuttering issues when trying to run 4K videos.
Normal 4K videos on youtube work 'mostly' fine, im saying mostly because while they're smooth, they are not as smooth as 1080p videos, and 4K@60fps just stutters way too much.
I don't think it's a connection problem because I'm letting videos buffer for a while before trying to play them.

I've also noticed that my CPU is being 100% used while running 4K videos and my GPU is just barely being used, could this be the source of my problem ?

CPU: Core i5 3570K @4.2 Ghz
Memory: 8GB @1600 Mhz
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 460 2G D5 OC

Any help with this frustrating problem will be greatly appreciated.

Wiz33

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Streaming 4K youtube require a lot of bandwidth. What kind of internet connection do you have. It also may not be your problem as Youtube can get busy during prime usage hour and may not feed fast enough.

superninja12

Estimable
Herald
May 18, 2015
playing videos is a cpu intensive task, not much gpu related.
so its a cpu thing , not cpu related.

it would help if you blow dust out of your cpu cooler if u haven't done this in a while.

also make sure the video is loaded, could be a weak internet problem.

GooG - Daniel

Honorable
May 2, 2013
My CPU stays cool while gaming so I don't think that's the problem.
And I get 60Mbps from speedtest which isn't great but im guessing its enough ?

I also download 4K Samples from sites and some of them run smoothly due to decoding and one of them which is a .ts file runs very badly.
so if there's a connection problem, there's probably more to it.

GooG - Daniel

Honorable
May 2, 2013
I downloaded vlc player with h.265/hevc codecs included, it was able to run h.264 files and other coded formats that weren't specified, but hevc were very stuttery/buggy, even with mpc-hc