4K Bluray 1440p Ultrawide Monitor

Feralys

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, I apologize if it isn't.

What happened?

I purchased a 60hz 3440x1440 Ultrawide VA Monitor by Samsung. S34E790C

Objective?

To play video games at 21:9 ratio (no problems here) and watching movies at their native aspect ratio in widescreen format.

Problem

I understand some movies and TV shows are not going to fully use the entire real estate of the ultrawide screen. However, 21:9 1080p movies play just fine and use the entire real estate of the screen, but the picture quality of 1920x1080 on 3440x1440p isn't exactly spectacular.

Here is a still-shot from afar, and up-close of Mad Max: Fury Road at 1080p on my monitor. Notice how grainy it is, even from afar.

pMG1KSS.jpg

fpdTySl.jpg

What research I have done on my own

I've done hours of googling.

I have also looked into purchasing bluray players for 4K/UHD blurays but the xbox one S representative at microsoft says it can only support 1080p or 4K, and is not sure whether or not the xbox one S will output 4K to my monitor.

No customer support has reached out to me with information for the Samsung UBD-K8500 yet.

What I want or TL;DR

How do I play 4K movies on my 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor with no black bars, letterboxing, black banding, or whatever its called. Also, without stretching/distorting the picture.

1.What sort of hardware can I get?
2.Are there any internal BD drives for PCs that support 4K/UHD Blurays?
3.Will any 4K/UHD bluray player output 4K on my screen despite it not being a 4K monitor?
4.Can I buy Blurays, rip it into my PC and use VLC to play at 4K? Will this work?

I know I asked a lot of questions, I want to thank you for your time and knowledge, if there is anything I can clarify, please do ask.

Solution
You can't use any standalone 4K UHD Bluray player and there is no such thing as a PC based 4K Bluray drive. Standalone player require a 4K TV with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 and will only playback in HD on anything that does not meet that requirement.

Wiz33

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
You can't use any standalone 4K UHD Bluray player and there is no such thing as a PC based 4K Bluray drive. Standalone player require a 4K TV with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 and will only playback in HD on anything that does not meet that requirement.

Solution

Feralys

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016

You're right, my monitor only has HDMI 1.4 and DP 1.2, and also does not have HDCP 2.2

Looks like the only way is to get digital UHD movies online, paying craploads of money for it too. Also, they will not allow any player but their own for movie playback.. Example: Flixster, Vudu.