4K TV Displays only 1080p with laptop capable of 1440p resolution

Berriano

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
Hi everyone,i recently purchased a Hisense 4k smart tv 55k3300uw with 2 HDMI ports capable of 4k @60hz.
My laptop is an ASUS N56DP which has a radeon hd 7730m dual graphics(hd 7660g+hd 7700m and hd 7700m) which i believe has a maximum resolution of 1440p.I am connecting the laptop to the tv with a brand new 2.0 HDMI cable.
However,when i try to change the desktop resolution it will only go to 1080p recommended,and if i play half life 2(which i believe can be played at 1440p)it will only go up as far as 1080p.So my question is this,am i trying to achieve the impossible buy trying to set the desktop or game to 1440p resolution,or is it possible but i am doing something wrong,or is it possible but some form of hardware is not functioning properly?

specs:

TV http://etcpg3uvcgs41q4ci23mfssr.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/SPEC-55K3300UW-FINAL.pdf

Laptop https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/N56DP/specifications/

Many thanks in advance to all

Solution
your laptop can maximum display 1080p display. this isnt a desktop which can have wider range of resolution. Usually, in-built gpus for laptops have a certain range which istailor made for their laptop screens. So, i think it cant go beyond 1080p . Furthermore, are u using it as mirror screen? i mean are u getting same same display on both tv and laptop? if that's so, your laptop screen is the primary one and the other is only a mirror.

Even if its possible, the only way would be to make you led TV as the ONLY display. That would bump the resolution possibly. You can't have mirrored screen of different resolutions.

Junaid Balouch

Estimable
Feb 19, 2014
your laptop can maximum display 1080p display. this isnt a desktop which can have wider range of resolution. Usually, in-built gpus for laptops have a certain range which istailor made for their laptop screens. So, i think it cant go beyond 1080p . Furthermore, are u using it as mirror screen? i mean are u getting same same display on both tv and laptop? if that's so, your laptop screen is the primary one and the other is only a mirror.

Even if its possible, the only way would be to make you led TV as the ONLY display. That would bump the resolution possibly. You can't have mirrored screen of different resolutions.

Solution

Berriano

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
Not mirroring,its thru HDMI and show only display 2(which is the TV) so laptop screen is blank.i can then change the resolution on the TV to 1080p.I think the 4K TV only supports 2160p then 1080p tho and nothing inbetween and as the graphics card doesnt do 2160p the next possible option is 1080p.Thanks for the reply tho,and you are right in that the laptop cant go beyond 1080p.The upsacled image does look good tho,almost to the point of lookng 4k,so thats a bonus..

Junaid Balouch

Estimable
Feb 19, 2014
and one more thing, even if you do mange to turn it to 4k, dont try to run games on 4k, it will eirther show a slide show instead of a game or wil fry your laptop with heat.

In Tv options go to connectivity and where HDMI is listed, go for option of PC. Mostly that should improve input lag and maybe pull it up to desired level.