CluelessPanda

Estimable
Sep 6, 2015
Sorry im kind of new to audio equipment and was just given a Kenwood x9060 receiver and surround speakers to go with them. I have used the option of the white/red RCA to a 3.5mm Jack into the desktop and that works fine for stereo sound. I was wondering if there was a way to utilize the 5.1 surround sound through my desktop since i watch most of it from my computer. I found links to the mother board back panel and receiver back panel, hope this helps. Thankyou

Mother Board: Z87-HD3 Gigabyte

http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/4489/8012_big.jpg

Receiver: Kenwood KRF-X9060D

http://www.fein-hifi.de/images/product_images/original_images/25_4_krf_x9060use.jpg

Solution

The manual is for Z87-HD3 and H87-HD3 only and lists the S/PDIF cable as an optional item on page 6 and shows where it connects to the lower end of the mobo on page 7!

CluelessPanda

Estimable
Sep 6, 2015

Sorry i got a bit confused, so i would run a HDMI from my computer to the http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Extractor-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072 and then from that box use the "optical out" with proper cable to the "optical input" of the receiver? and that should hopefully give me 5.1?

Thankyou for the reply btw much love <3

P.S. sorry didnt realise there was a question, i was hoping to use the 6 coloured audio jacks of the mother board and didnt even think of HDMI.

noidea_77

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Your receiver supports the digital spdif in via copper cable and the motherboard has a spdif out port directly on the board, that needs an adapter bracket. Is it listed as an optional item in the manual and may have been in the box. Short version: connect the yellow coax ports on both sides.

kanewolf

Judicious

There is a reference to a digital audio (SPDIF) output in the motherboard manual, it is not obvious how you get it to anything external. No reference to a breakout connector is shown in the manual. Your receiver does not have multi-channel analog inputs to allow you to use the colored connections on the motherboard. You can try to find an adapter which goes from the SPDIF_O port to a coax connector on the PC and then use a coax to connect the PC and receiver or you can use the HDMI break out I listed.
To use the HDMI breakout you would use HDMI out from your PC to the breakout box and then HDMI to the monitor and optical or coax to the receiver. You might be able to use the breakout for JUST audio, but I am not sure of that.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Looking at your connections, you've got no choice but to use an adapter of some sort. Either that or you could possibly find some 3.5mm to RCA plugs and then connect them accordingly. While it may not be the best option, you could always go with a low cost 5.1 sound card and use the digital outputs on it.

noidea_77

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

There is a clear reference in the optional items list!

noidea_77

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

The manual is for Z87-HD3 and H87-HD3 only and lists the S/PDIF cable as an optional item on page 6 and shows where it connects to the lower end of the mobo on page 7!

Solution

CluelessPanda

Estimable
Sep 6, 2015
Thanks for all of the Help everyone, i kind of went on a tangent and outputted all my audio from my TV/Monitor to the AMP via toslink. I'm not sure how well the "surround sound" will work this way but ive managed to get sound to come out of the rear speakers now :D

Thankyou again for all the help much appreciated.