5.1 setup with JBL's 305's and just my pc?

Geral

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014
Hi guys!

So i have a 2.1 setup now with 2 jbl 305 and the jbl 310s subwoofer. I also have the creative soundblaster ZXR installed on my computer. They sound great, but i was wondering if i could have a 5.1 setup adding just 3 more jbl 305's.

i dont want to buy a separate amplifier or receiver, i just want to use my soundcard if possible.

Actual 2.1 Setup:

Left Channel:
Soundblaster ZXR(White RCA Connector)> RCA to 1/4 inch>JBL LSR310S>XLR to XLR>JBL LSR305

Right Channel:
Soundblaster ZXR(Red RCA Connector)> RCA to 1/4 inch>JBL LSR310S>XLR to XLR>JBL LSR305

Imaginary 5.1 Setup number 1:

Left Front Channel:
Soundblaster ZXR(White RCA Connector)>RCA to 1/4 inch>JBL LSR305

Right Front Channel:
Soundblaster ZXR(Red RCA Connector)>RCA to 1/4 inch>JBL LSR305

Left/Right Rear Channel:
Soundblaster ZXR(Black 3.5mm Connector)>3.5 mm to dual 1/4 inch>Two (2) JBL LSR305's

Center/Subwoofer Channel:
Soundblaster ZXR(Orange 3.5mm Connector)>3.5 mm to dual 1/4 inch>JBL LSR310S>Dual XLR to XLR>JBL LSR305

Imaginary 5.1 Setup number 2:

Left Channel:
Soundblaster ZXR(White RCA Connector)> RCA to 1/4 inch>JBL LSR310S>XLR to XLR>JBL LSR305

Right Channel:
Soundblaster ZXR(Red RCA Connector)> RCA to 1/4 inch>JBL LSR310S>XLR to XLR>JBL LSR305

Left/Right Rear Channel:
Soundblaster ZXR(Black 3.5mm Connector)>3.5 mm to dual 1/4 inch>Two (2) JBL LSR305's

Center/Subwoofer Channel:
Soundblaster ZXR(Orange 3.5mm Connector)>3.5 mm to 1/4 inch>JBL LSR305

Wich setup you think is best/will work?
Is there a difference in connecting the subwoofer to a dedicated subwoofer channel or is it ok to do it like the setup number 2?
Will the Dual XLR to XLR cable will work in the center/subwoofer channel on setup number 1?

Some links of the stuff im talking about:

JBL LSR305: http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series/lsr305#.Wt3X6cgvxhE
JBL LSR310S: http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series/lsr310s#.Wt3YKcgvxhE
Sound Blaser ZxR: https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-zxr

You want the subwoofer connected to the PC subwoofer output. When you set the PC for 5.1 the satellites are not playing full range which will both improve their sound and ability to play louder.
Since the soundcard is your surround sound processor that will be responsible for the types of surround sound you can decode and whether it can synthesize 5.1 from stereo content. An AV receiver usually has many ways of doing that.

Geral

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014
Ok so you are saying that my imaginary 5.1 setup NUMBER 1 is the way to go?

How would i connect the center channel to my center speaker? Is what i think the right way?

Number 1 is the way to go.
One of the 3.5mm outputs of the soundcard has subwoofer and center channels on it. You need a cable with a stereo 3.5mm plug at the PC end and two 1/4" mono plugs at the other end. One goes to the sub, the other to the center. Since this kind of cable may be hard to find and it's likely that the lengths you will need will not be the same for the center and sub you can use a 3.5mm stereo plug to 2 RCA female jacks adapter to separate sub and center outputs. They you need two cables with 1 RCA plug to 1 1/4" mono plug.

Geral

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014

The JBL LSR310S has left AND right inputs, in wich one should i connect it?
This kind of connection is just like the one i thought for the left/right rear channel:

Left/Right Rear Channel:

This cable (3.5 mm to dual 1/4 inch) should be like the one you suggest? stereo to dual mono? Should i ask for a special cable? or every 3.5 mm to dual 1/4 inch is supposed to be stereo to dual mono?

Also, the idea of using a Y cable (3.5 mm to 2 RCA female) is great, yet you mention again a RCA to 1/4 MONO plug, is this something i should ask for? or an RCA to 1/4 is allways a mono cable?

Last, doing the kind of connection you say, would it matter wich end of the 1/4 plug i put in the center o subwoofer? how would this work? will the computer decide wich cable goes to the sub or center? will it matter? how this connection works?.

Thanks for taking to time to answer my questions, so far you are the only one helping me in several forums, i really appreciate it.