5 Reasons Why IE9 Cannot Stop IE's Decline

Status
Not open for further replies.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
You did it again, Wolfgang. Transformed a personal little hate into an alleged fact. Who woke up and named you Nostradamus?

We all got the previous message: you don't like Nokia. Now we now you dislike IE9, too. I'm looking forward for tomorrow.

beta tester

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Microsoft isn't doing very well lately.

While it is getting lots of desktop OS sales, and Xbox sales, the most strategic areas are failing: mobile and browser.

IE losing share
Windows Phone 7 usage declining

Both failed to deliver enough HTML5 support. IE9 has inadequate HTML5 support. Windows Phone 7 has no HTML5 support whatsoever, preventing it from using web apps.

Meanwhile, Android, iPhone, and their Chrome/Safari browsers have embraced HTML5, so are ready for web apps.

arkay2011

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Sorry, but "reasons why" is redundent. Either say "5 reasons IE9 cannot..." or "Why IE9 cannot..." The only thing worse is "...reason why is because..." - that's triple points.

G

MS Competitors browsers work very well on all platforms even the Mac - DUH MS!

ekubaskie

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Best thing I've noticed about FF4 is that it gets the heck out of the way. Best browser, IMO, is the one that uses the least display space per feature, leaving more room for content.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
"I believe IE9 will accelerate IEs decline"

What have you been smoking? IE9 is the best thing Microsoft has released since Windows 7 and I'm glad they limited the installs to Vista SP2 and 7 because this XP crap is going too far. It's 2011 not 2002. Also why would adoption of Windows 7 slow? There is almost 0 bad press on it unlike Vista and the average Joe with the dusty computer that won't check Facebook anymore is eventually going to have to go out and get a PC with Windows 7 on it. IE has also alwasy been tied to Windows so your arguments on Firefox's ability to reach more PCs is also old news. Your marketing section was also completely opinionated. You also end your article with "Microsoft needs to do more". Do more of what? I think IE9 can stop IEs decline but a complete reversal is probably highly unlikely

bugo30

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
[citation][nom]arkay2011[/nom]Sorry, but "reasons why" is redundent. Either say "5 reasons IE9 cannot..." or "Why IE9 cannot..." The only thing worse is "...reason why is because..." - that's triple points.[/citation]

You misspelled "redundent".

G

ROFL Say what. IE9 Blows the socks off every browser there is period !

HTML5 Is DOA, do your research before painting with a broad brush !!!!!

Have you heard of Silverlight ? Perhaps not. But let me clue you in. Silverlight
is the future for web apps either in or out of the browser. There are far more
silverlight apps than html 5 apps available and the actual technical spec for
silverlight makes html 5 look like a bad dream. Why would MS go the silverlight
road instead of HTML 5 ?, Simple HTML5 is a reincarnation of Java both of
which have limitations.

Clearly your opinion is yours, but dont use a forum to tout that opinion like it
is what everyone industry wide is saying.

x7

a sandwhich

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Am I the only one who uses opera anymore? I know it is included in the tests and all, but it seems like it gets about 5% of all focus.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]People still use IE really? Firefox FTW.[/citation]
Yes people still use IE, for better or for worse.

Where I work we actually only support two browsers for our web-based apps: Internet Explorer and Safari, the two browsers that ship with Windows and Mac OS X respectively. The R&D costs for supporting a wide-range of browsers is just too high, especially with the recent budget cuts.

Having said that, most of our users (59%) use Google Chrome, which luckily has yet to fail with our web-based apps, thanks in part to Safari and Chrome using the same core engine. Safari accounts for 22%, Internet Explorer 11%, and Firefox 8%. Unfortunately, the new Firefox 4 just flat out doesn't work with the majority of our older web applications, and I don't see our development team taking the time out of our busy schedule to go back and update the older apps.

But back to the article. Internet Explorer accounted for 89% of our users in 2006... and now its 11%. Honestly MANY of our users have expressed interest in moving to IE 9, but can't as they are still running Windows 2000 & XP. The IT department would LOVE to move to Windows 7, but at the moment the money just isn't there to do so.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
well... a decline... maybe... buit IE9 market share will growth has Win 7 / 8 will growth.
this year a lot of companies will upgrade to Win 7 (this will double the number of licenses)
and with the availability of IE9 in the windows update has an important update in june, the market share of IE9 will jump quickly.

now... is it a decline?
only 5% in 1 year. FF lost 3% too, and Chrome +5%.
For me there is no decline here. else FF declines too!!!

IE lost some marketshare due to the lack of important updates in the past years. if they demonstrate a change in this process IE will certainly regain some points.

wait and see...

harrye

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Staring to market share percentages is not very helpful. I am wondering how many IE users are trend-setters and people who really care which browser they are using? Therefore is a percentage of 10 % for Chrome already a huge success since users have to make a decision and show action for getting it. Beside a robust amount of Microsoft lemmings and Microsoft fanboys there is no loyal IE user community. The majority is using what they get and that is caused by the domination of Windows IE. I agree that the success of mobile platforms - where Microsoft can currently offer only IE7 - and the launch of ChromeOS have the potential to cause a huge market share shift. For web-developers IE seems also with its newest release headache only. Why Microsoft is NOT capable to catch-up with web-standards. What is so difficult to implement HTML5 completely and correctly? Is it ignorance or incompetence? What would be worse?

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Mom and Pop will probobly never install any other browser, for that fact alone, IE will continue to be used.

harrye

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
[citation][nom]kater6[/nom]ROFL HTML5 Is DOA, do your research before painting with a broad brush !!!!!Have you heard of Silverlight ? Perhaps not. But let me clue you in. Silverlightis the future for web apps either in or out of the browser. There are far moresilverlight apps than html 5 apps available and the actual technical spec forsilverlight makes html 5 look like a bad dream. Why would MS go the silverlightroad instead of HTML 5 ?, Simple HTML5 is a reincarnation of Java both of which have limitations.Clearly your opinion is yours, but dont use a forum to tout that opinion like itis what everyone industry wide is saying.x7[/citation]
I recommend that YOU try first to understand what a HTML standard means before you are blowing the horn for a proprietary technology which clearly is NOT considered as widely successful. If you are saying "... what everyone industry wide is saying ..." I am wondering about which industry you are speaking? Is it the troll industry?

arkay2011

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
>kater6: Typo by "reader" vs bad grammar by "journalist." As newspapers are gradually replaced by web "journalism," it would be nice if we could retain a semblance of literacy But I'm not counting on it. Enjoy.

G

It would be foolish for MS to invest its energy into IE 9 for Windows XP as most XP users who care have already moved to something else. Also in a couple of years the number of XP users will have declined significantly.

If I understand it correctly some the HTML 5 support that some are complaining about is not yet stable yet in the unreleased specification for HTML 5. So many sites that are using these features will have to rewrite them. MS can then claim that these other browsers are not following standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.