Xblur

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
ok, hi guys im new here, i join because i thought this is the best place to throw my questions at, im not that ignorant in the field of computer electronics, although i might not know the models and sockets and power consumption, voltage, etc... i can understand most of it.
today i was trying to improve my system with the least possible cost, so let me put my specs here first:
toshiba satallite c850-b832
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz
Video Card AMD Radeon HD 7610M
Memory 4.1 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Edition (build 9200), 64-bit
so now i want to ask first: most hardware expert have an absolute no attitude toward this question, but make an exception for me and answer me in a detailed manner, what are the risks of installing another graphics card that can go into the same PCIe express 2.0 on a laptop, if i can get 1 of course :p
one other thing about the graphics card, when i check on spec programs, and in Dxdiag, it shows AMD Radeon HD 7610M, when i checked in PC-wizard 2014, it showed the same in the graphics card section, but then i checked the BUS PCI-express in the motherboard section, it showed:
Bus PCI-Express :
Device : Whistler LE [AMD Radeon HD 6625M Graphics]
Version : 2.0
Port : 0
Link Width : x16 (max. 1)
Link Speed : 5 GB/s

i then thought it might be fabricated :/ oor the PC-wizard has a problem.

second question: is there any problems with putting 2 different RAM in 2 different sockets with 2 different frequencies(speed)? like if one is 800 MHz and the other 1600MHz.

and i tried overclocking my GPU with afterburner from msi, i reached 625 MHz core clock and 1020 MHz momory clock, which improved the KUMBUSTER test fps by 6 frames, from 18 avg fps, to 24 avg fps, i tried increasing the clock speeds more but it started to have weird effects, like flickering, glitchy, acid, and most of the time the graphics driver would reset, or just freeze my PC, so i stopped there, and for temperatures, i checked for sometimes, it reached 89 C, but then the laptop fan kicked in and didn't let it increase more, i was watching as it was staying between 88-89 degrees C, now i wrote this so that you have in image of whats going on, and maybe get more tips on how to improve.
anyways, i would love to discuss these things with experts, and learn more :D so please even if u make fun and be sarcastic i would like your participation in the discussion.

1) Laptops are NOT upgradable, especially the video cards as the 99% norm. They are uniquely designed to the maker and in many cases UNIQUE designed to THAT model computer only. It isn't they can't "fit" the PCIe slot, but actually FIT (cut on the board itself) in THAT model case, with THAT power supply with THAT BIOS. Your 'options' may be actually limited to only that and one other card, and further you can't just look on Amazon / Got o Best Buy and grab one off the shelf either, they aren't "sold to the public" as a add on. In the 'NORMAL' practice the components (because the laptop is moving - aka portable) are soldered down as well, so again NOT LIKE A DESKTOP you can't just 'swap them out' when you want to.
2) NEVER MIX DIFFERENT RAMS, ALWAYS KEEP THE SAME SAME. So yes MANY problems, and considering your saying one is 800Mhz (most likely DDR2) you don't seem to have a clue about hardware at all as these are DDR3 machines, which is a totally different designed slot. I would suggest if your going to do ANYTHING, just get a 4x2 8GB kit, usually if you check Crucial.com website they have a nice wizard to walk you through to make sure you get the right not only frequency, but MOST importantly TIMING for the DRAM.
3) OCing a laptop is NOT recommended, as you see the temps go way up way quickly and the temps your at WILL BURN OUT YOUR GPU. NEVER should be above 80c on a laptop especially 'staying' at it. Laptops are made for portability, not OCing. As you have a yearn to do that, I would suggest a DESKTOP instead, as you can just 'slap a new cooler' on the GPU when you OC where you physically can't on laptops.
4) The GPU sucks for any titles after 2011 (see here http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7610M.70566.0.html). The reason that laptop was so cheap is because it can't keep up and, sorry, there is NO WAY around it (your trying, but as pointed out you can't effectively 'improve' this in any way). Laptops are made to be replaced , entirely, because your paying for the portability, NOT upgradability. If you want that then you get a desktop.

So if your going to try anything past Skyrim or COD MW3, you either bump it down to very low levels on a very low display and very low performance (see the numbers) or you get a modern laptop ($2000) made for gaming if you want a portable PC gaming platform.

Xblur

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014

thanks for your answers, i opened up my laptop and noticed that it was soldered to the mainboard
pKpAmtl.jpg

so its not possible to change it in any ways.
for the RAM, i know the difference, but that was just an example i should have said 1333MT/s :p and i will put a 1600mt/s ram, thanks for the information.
for the 3rd point, i overclocked, and it was fine, and i got a lot better performance, i ran World of tanks in high at 26 fps, its not recommended i know, but the laptop would survive for a year or 2 while being overclocked, so its better for me, and graphics cards can withstand 105degree C as i read, then there is a failsafe mechanism that will shut it down, but mine never goes up to 90.
i will build a desktop, later but for know this is my only option, so i would have to bare with 24 fps, and its not that bad after all, but no, 60FPS is the goal :D
tnx again for reading and answering

Meh... I don't believe in spend hundreds of dollars just to 'play on the lowest crappiest worst settings, just to play a game'. Honestly if you have that much money to get a low crappy laptop like that for 'higher' end (aka past 2011) titles, then go buy a console! You get 1080P 60FPS on High settings on MANY titles with a console.. which is cheaper and never have to worry about all this PC hardware updates etc. To me playing on expensive crappy hardware just doesn't make any sense when cheaper and much more performance benefits seems like a smarter play.

Xblur

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014

dude it was not expensive, that is the point it was about 580$ at the time, if i build a desktop, i would spent that on one part, anyways thank you :3