A PSP 2 Without 3D - Is That Good Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

all your kids have DS consoles, thats so nice for you Wolfgang Gruener, the checks you get from posting blogs that have stealth anti-Sony-Nintendo messages must allow you to do things the average families are not able to do until its christmas time, Microsoft must trully be a kind and generous god for you.
Oh and Apples products don't have real videogames, they are not even worthy maybe a few of being called one, Nintendo and Sony actually know how to make games not sell people consoles that burn in hell with red rings of death or phones or touch devices that break easily.

kongqueror

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I've read very recent articles on hands-on experience with the new Nintendo 3DS and they all mentioned that the 3D effect dissappears when a gamer is not viewing the screen in an ideal way - so with motion-centric games, the 3D effect will most likely just be turned off. So i think Sony made the right decision as it seems like 3D on a handheld, as it is implemented by Nindtendo, is gimmicky at best.

Link: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/19/nintendo-3ds-in-depth-preview-slight-return-video/

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]kongqueror[/nom]I've read very recent articles on hands-on experience with the new Nintendo 3DS and they all mentioned that the 3D effect dissappears when a gamer is not viewing the screen in an ideal way - so with motion-centric games, the 3D effect will most likely just be turned off. So i think Sony made the right decision as it seems like 3D on a handheld, as it is implemented by Nindtendo, is gimmicky at best.Link: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/19 [...] urn-video/[/citation]
they once said that about Wii's motion controller. Look what happened(to the point of a copy cat game, analog stick,ruble pack, those may have been gimiky, now standard). Nintendo knows something we don't.
I personally hope 3d does not go too far, but if it does, get ready to see EVERYONE on board.

oncall

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
3D s still gimmicky and hasn't proven it can move consumer products and Sony, more than most, is painfully aware of this. Sounds like Sony was already going for broke loading this up with every margin breaking add-on they could think of. I know, I know they make it up later in software but they have to slap a price tag on this sometime that at least looks competitive.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
The lack of 3D is a definite plus for me. I'm really getting kind of tired of the "oooh! it's 3D" talk going on with all the TV's, BD Players, game consoles and now I've been hearing the next thing in smartphones will be glasses free 3D displays. It's a frickin' phone for gods sake. This over hyped fad is worse than the motion control fad that the Wii started. Everyone that I know that has a Wii stopped even playing them within the first six months.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
I'm personally glad it won't have 3D. I'm not buying into this 3D craze and won't until there's a glasses free option that has a great implementation that won't cause eye strain or degrade picture quality. I'll keep the 3D to the movie theater and with my own gadgets and TVs all I'm looking at is picture quality and viewing angle (OLED can't come fast enough!)

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
IMO, yes. In fact its better off without 3D. It would cost alot more to implement, and lots of early reviewers have said they turned it off on the 3DS after a few minutes.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Oh, and yes. I agree with the tough call on the 3D for the NGP. 3D is not bad in itself, is just another "eye candy" that can be welcome'd if done right (let me say that again: DONE RIGHT). Let's see if Nintendo does it right or keeps being a boring and non-giver feature.

Cheers!

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I don't think lack of 3D is any big deal. I personally don't have or want 3D for PC or console games, so it's even less of something that I'm interested in a handheld device supporting. Besides 3D will just reduce the amount of processing power that could be used for better 2D visuals, physics, etc. and will drive up costs.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
The PSP2/NGP not having a 3D screen seems like an open and shut case to me: Sony saw what Nintendo was bringing to the table in terms of glasses-free 3D, deemed it not worthy to integrate into its NGP, and moved to a high-res OLED screen. Personally I'd rather have an OLED touchscreen anyways.

-Devin

reconspartan

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
Among many others it seems, I also am not greatly interested in 3D for certain applications. I haven't owned a handheld since the gameboy advance, so I don't really have a preference as far as DS and PSP goes. If I had to chose 3DS or PSP2 though, I would go with the PSP2; then again, I haven't used either of them. I think both will succeed though.

thejester420

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
They should have implemented the NGP with their current 'with glasses 3d' as an option. so that people who can't afford a new 3d TV can experience 3d movies and games, provided that they get a pair of 3d glasses, this type of 3d is not affected by viewing angle like Nintendo's 'glasses free 3d' solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.