a technician (east Indian) told me he needed to change my IP address and that it would cost me 100.00 and like an idiot, I did

nreinitz

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014
Could he really change the IP address? How could I tell? I do know that I am blocked from using Firefox now. I can still use Internet Explorer.

inerax

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Umm.... The below link will tell you what your IP is but you would need to know what it was to know if it changed.

Did you call your ISP for tech support? Why did this conversation come up about changing your IP address?

I would uninstall fire fox and redownload it using IE.

http://www.whatismyip.com/

nreinitz

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014

nreinitz

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014
It's a long story but I have these people providing support on my computer. I have Window xp and have not upgraded to Windows 7, so this seems to be causing a lot of supposed hacking on my computer. I do have Avaste anti virus they put on my computer. So he calls me and tells me I need to change the IP address and it would cost me 100.00, so I gave him permission to do that. Now, yesterday a East Indian guy calls me from " the license department" and tells me I need to get my internet security upgraded and it would cost me $99.00. I just went off on him. In the beginning I was told I would never have to pay another dime for support or anti virus protection. I paid them 300.00 then for unlimited support. I have Service Mechanic on my laptop and I also have Avaste. Help!

Rakeen70210

Estimable
Jun 9, 2014
Yea you are 100% being scammed all this stuff you are giving them money for can be done for free on your own basically. Hell some of this stuff doesnt even need to be done. IP change? Security upgrade? Tell these scammers to stop calling you.

nreinitz

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014

nreinitz

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014

Taking it to Best Buy and having them put in Windows 7 very soon, otherwise it's turned off.

Vorpike

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
You can use a VPN and use an IP from companies that provide such services for a fee, for free, you can do the same but with limited options. A friend of mine changed some settings in IE and it had a similar effect, probably what the "technician" did, be aware, most IT scams come from India (large servers, many computer-educated people).

The Real Jaydax

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014
Not only have you been scammed but you've given your credit/debit card details to a very shady operation. I strongly suggest you contact your bank and get your credit/debit card changed and keep a very close watch on your bank account.
I suggest you check your computer to see if a 'proxy server' has been added to it. Your ISP probably won't use one. Check their website to find out how you should connect. If you find they don't use one use the following to restore it to normal:
1. At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
Inetcpl.cpl
2. On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
3. Check the 'Automatically detect settings' check box.
4. Click to de-select the Use a proxy server for your LAN check box