A though question: GPU and graphic design!

Shany Levi

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015
I've been reading here for a while, and you guys already helped me a lot without even knowing!
SO THANKS!

Okay, so I'm a graphic designer and a Video Editor, and I'm going to buy a new laptop this week.
YES. I know that the best thing for me is a desktop.
But my life is too mobile and it has to be a laptop. HAVE TO.

After a research I decided to dump the idea of a workstation and go for a really strong gamer-laptop.
My budget is about 3200$.
Right now I'm having hard time to understand the hardware priorities for my needs. Which system is the best for me?
I know that numbers don't mean anything and the real test is with real-time-gaming. but I couldn't find relevant tests for my needs (Adobe's softwares: photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects etc..) which are extremely different than gaming.
so theoretically:

System 1:
GTX 980M 8GB
16GB RAM (max)
i7-4720HQ

System 2:
SLI GTX 970 (2 X 3GB)
32GB RAM (max)
i7-4870HQ

Very important thing: SLI HAS NO MEANING FOR ME.
Adobe don't know how to use an SLI configuration yet, so it will be treated as a Single GTX 970 3GB.
Basically, I think it's a question of:
5GB more of vRAM vs 16GB more of RAM.
Please fix me if I'm wrong!

100000X thank you!!
Shany.

Solution
for video editing the 2nd system since cpu and ram are very important so i would suggest the second system, but then again for 3d rendering 1st system is better with 8gb vram and a single more powerful gpu(since i haven't used anything else then blender and never got a chance to use sli can't say if that would be faster or if it can even use sli) keep in mind that it only has effective 3gb of vram which would limit how fast it renders with higher quality assets, it all depends which one is more important for you

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
for video editing the 2nd system since cpu and ram are very important so i would suggest the second system, but then again for 3d rendering 1st system is better with 8gb vram and a single more powerful gpu(since i haven't used anything else then blender and never got a chance to use sli can't say if that would be faster or if it can even use sli) keep in mind that it only has effective 3gb of vram which would limit how fast it renders with higher quality assets, it all depends which one is more important for you

Solution