Accessing harddisk without taking the HD out or other solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazads

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
Hello everyone!

Unfortunately, my laptop is getting old, and therefore the battery isnt working at all. So I have to keep the power supply connected at all times. One day the power supply was unplugged and the laptop shut down. When i opened it again, it asked me to repair and i said yes. The conclusion was that i needed to restore it to an older version, and i did. But afterwards when i tryed to start it, it wouldn't go any further than a black screen just before it usually says welcome. (After the "starting windows" and before "welcome").

I do not know what to do, because im no computer-genius, but i have been googleing possible ways to access the HD. All the solutions so far require me to pull out the HD but i do not wish to do that for multiple reasons.

- Is there a way to access the harddisk and get my files, without having to pull out the HD, and without having to open the laptop any further than the black screen im able to access (since i cant go further) ?
- Can i maybe restore it to another version, where this problem isn't occuring, again without having to access the laptop further then i can?
- Should i just quit my search for solutions and seek professional help right away? (Which I will do soon-ish)

Every answer is MUCH appreciated!
Thank you :)

Solution
What happened here is that your system partition likely got corrupted due to power loss. This makes Windows unable to boot, but it is very likely that all your personal files are still there just waiting for you to copy them.

You can do that by:

1) using a bootable USB stick (prepared on another computer by a tech savvy person) with Linux or Windows, then copy all the important files from your hard drive to USB stick. The USB stick should be big enough to fit all your data

2) using a bootable CD with a recent Linux distribution, such as Mint or Ubuntu. Then you can access your drive and copy all files to USB stick as well

In both cases, this will only save your files (which are the most important in cases like yours). But your...

herrwizo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
What happened here is that your system partition likely got corrupted due to power loss. This makes Windows unable to boot, but it is very likely that all your personal files are still there just waiting for you to copy them.

You can do that by:

1) using a bootable USB stick (prepared on another computer by a tech savvy person) with Linux or Windows, then copy all the important files from your hard drive to USB stick. The USB stick should be big enough to fit all your data

2) using a bootable CD with a recent Linux distribution, such as Mint or Ubuntu. Then you can access your drive and copy all files to USB stick as well

In both cases, this will only save your files (which are the most important in cases like yours). But your windows installation is still scre*ed, and you will need a full format of your Windows partition and a Windows reinstall from scratch once your files are stored at the safe place.

Once Windows are reinstalled and running again, you can copy them over again.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.