Acer Aspire 10.1 turns on but only shows black screen

girlincrlz

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
I purchased an Acer® 10.1" Aspire Laptop Computer with Intel Atom Z3735 in December 2015 for my son at college. He happened to be home for the weekend and showed me that when he turns it on it will only show a black screen. The power lights are on, it seems to be fully charged, no drops or falls, or liquid spilt on it, no recent attempts at downloading anything - yet it only shows black screen with an occasional flicker of "the little spinny thinking wheel thingy" (that's per my son as I didn't even see that happen, just black).
The very first time it did this he tried the "hold the power button down trick" to force it to power off and upon restart he was able to "start in safe mode" but then it went black again when it restarted. Now he can't get anything on the screen. The university IT people looked at it very briefly and said he just needed to buy a new one (easy for them to say).

Does anyone have any suggestions? It is only 4 months old and has only been used for basic college kid stuff. Most of the online posts suggest removing all accessories and the battery, forcing it to fully power down then restarting it; however, this Acer 10.1 model seems to not have a removable battery (or maybe I just didn't see how to access it?)

Demon20

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
To see if your laptop's motherboard is fully functioning, connect it to a secondary monitor. If the monitor is up and running, then you have a problem with one if the display cables which might've come loose (most common).

You have to take it to a mechanic or something. This isn't something you can fix by yourself without screwing something up.

And it's definitely cheaper than buying a new laptop.

Demon20

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
To see if your laptop's motherboard is fully functioning, connect it to a secondary monitor. If the monitor is up and running, then you have a problem with one if the display cables which might've come loose (most common).

You have to take it to a mechanic or something. This isn't something you can fix by yourself without screwing something up.

And it's definitely cheaper than buying a new laptop.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Laptop Tech Support 1
I Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
E Laptop Tech Support 1
Kirstie_P Laptop Tech Support 3
T Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 4
L Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 3
G Laptop Tech Support 1