Acer Aspire CPU Upgrade

Racinglife12

Estimable
Apr 10, 2014
I have a question
I have a Acer Aspire 3005WLMi with a AMD Mobile Sempron 3300+ CPU
I want to upgrade it. I would love to have a AMD Mobile Athlon 4000+ in it.
But can i upgrade it to a cpu that isnt for the 756M socket??
I saw some dual cores and they had all AM1 sockets and such.
So does anyone know what CPU that does work with the right and wrong socket because I saw a post earlier from someone who had a worng CPU in a socket and it worked.

Thanks

Solution
If it's the wrong socket, it won't fit/work. S754 needs a S754 CPU. You can't put a S939 CPU in it and get it to work. Anyone who claims they did is lying. Period. Laptops are VERY specific. You can't just swap in parts from other ones. Ram and HDDs yes, maybe panels if they are close enough. Coolers, usually CPUs, keyboards, etc are no.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Seriously? You give you thread 15min then PM a mod? You seriously need to learn patience.

You said mobile and taking a look online this is a laptop. I never suggest upgrading laptops. IF the CPU isn't soldered to the motherboard putting a faster one in can kill your battery life, emit more heat then the cooling system is rated for, and more often then not you can't replace them because it IS soldered to the board. Considering we are talking about single core Semprons, I'd just upgrade to a newer unit. A few extra Mhz that the 4000+ will give you won't be enough to warrant the headache.

Racinglife12

Estimable
Apr 10, 2014

Yea sorry about that. I was in a hurry.
I was also going to upgrade the cooling system.
The CPU isn't soldered to the motherboard and the laptop is always plugged in so its not for when I'm on the move.
Don't you have any solution???

Racinglife12

Estimable
Apr 10, 2014

And its my grandparents' laptop. They can't afford a new one so they asked me if I could make it run a bit faster. I'm going to upgrade the RAM to 2GB and maybe a newer HDD or even (if its possible, I haven't looked at that) a SSD.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
How are you going to upgrade the cooling?

More ram might help. But with either CPU you are still looking at single core performance. I'm not sure how much speed separates those two, but I'd guess it's around 400MHz. Which won't matter much. Adding ram should help, but seeing as it won't move over to a new system I wouldn't do that either. It's simply to far back to use for today. Word processing, email, chat, etc is ok, but flash heavy websites will kill it. Any no cost things such as cleaning to make sure it stays clocked hi, removing of virus, etc is what I'd do. Otherwise you are just beating a dead horse.

Racinglife12

Estimable
Apr 10, 2014

Ok thanks for the info. Do you know any CPUs that are from another socket but would still work?? I saw that in another thread so thats why I contacted you

Racinglife12

Estimable
Apr 10, 2014

I've got another old laptop cooler laying around. I could change the original with that one and see if it helps.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
If it's the wrong socket, it won't fit/work. S754 needs a S754 CPU. You can't put a S939 CPU in it and get it to work. Anyone who claims they did is lying. Period. Laptops are VERY specific. You can't just swap in parts from other ones. Ram and HDDs yes, maybe panels if they are close enough. Coolers, usually CPUs, keyboards, etc are no.

Solution