Acer aspire factory reset

mmitchell404

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
My acer Aspire laptop has become unusable. There is very high unexplained disk usage even after uninstalling all my programs and deleting all my files. No malware has been detected after exhaustive scans and I really would like to attempt a factory reset. When I use the alt/F10 method and select reset i get the message that "something" went wrong and no changes were made. Any way to get a little more specific diagnostics on this? Any other method of factory reset I cam try? I'm thinking my hard deive might be dying... I did try to do a recovery but apparently I never set a restore point last time I did this. I'm running windows 10

Solution
It should be possible. What is the model of your laptop? I know it’s an Acer Aspire but which specific model number is it?

To install an SSD, you only need a few things. First, you need a SATA to USB cable and some sort of cloning software (Acronis True Image, Macrium Reflect, etc.). Second, you need a screw driver with applicable bits. Lastly, you need a little bit of time to let the drive clone itself to the SSD. This link should be helpful: http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-clone-a-hard-drive-or-ssd/

To install the SSD after it has been cloned, open up your laptop and locate the old HDD. Remove whatever screws or mechanisms holding in and pull it out from the SATA connector. Then, pop in your new SSD to the same spot and screw it in...

Jwpanz

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC

Select the option to remove all of your files. This should wipe your drive and reinstall Windows 10. If this method still fails then the only other option you have is to use a third party application like DBAN to wipe that drive.
I would say, however, that I also suspect your drive may be dying based off of the symptoms described in your initial post. You may be better off attempting to clone that drive to a new HDD or SSD (I would recommend the SSD) to see if it fixes the problem.

mmitchell404

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017

Thanks for your response. I am thinking my hard drive is dying as I have had this problem before. I do have am SSD that theoretically should be able to be installed into this laptop. However, last time my husband tried installing it something went wrong and we had to send it back to acer to fix it. Amy way we could find a professional who could install the ssd for us or is it just not possible?

Jwpanz

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
It should be possible. What is the model of your laptop? I know it’s an Acer Aspire but which specific model number is it?

To install an SSD, you only need a few things. First, you need a SATA to USB cable and some sort of cloning software (Acronis True Image, Macrium Reflect, etc.). Second, you need a screw driver with applicable bits. Lastly, you need a little bit of time to let the drive clone itself to the SSD. This link should be helpful: http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-clone-a-hard-drive-or-ssd/

To install the SSD after it has been cloned, open up your laptop and locate the old HDD. Remove whatever screws or mechanisms holding in and pull it out from the SATA connector. Then, pop in your new SSD to the same spot and screw it in. You should then be able to boot like you normally would.

Solution