Acer DVD drive quit working

Status
Not open for further replies.

loub213

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
I have an ASPIRE 5251-1513. I don't use my DVD/CD drive very often, but now it won't recognize any disc (DVD or CD). I have tried several suggestions I saw on the Web but have not tried to "uninstall" because I really didn't know if I could re-install. What can I do to fix?

Solution

My acer Aspire stoped recognizing the DVD some time ago. I stripped the motherboard. Cut a retangular hole in a piece of aluminum foil. Placed the foil over the board exposing the solder joints for the connector and One 1 cm chip that I thought might be involved. Using a heat gun with controlled temperature set at 230 degrees C I heated the area for a bout one minute to reflow the solder. After cooling the DVD was recognized imediately on start up and...

scotspoet

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

My acer Aspire stoped recognizing the DVD some time ago. I stripped the motherboard. Cut a retangular hole in a piece of aluminum foil. Placed the foil over the board exposing the solder joints for the connector and One 1 cm chip that I thought might be involved. Using a heat gun with controlled temperature set at 230 degrees C I heated the area for a bout one minute to reflow the solder. After cooling the DVD was recognized imediately on start up and works perfectly again. I got the idea after doing the same treatment on the Graphics chip. The machine was not working and about to be thrown out. Nothing to lose. Heating the GPU to 230 C brought it back to life. Heating the DVD conector area restored the DVD.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.