Acer E5-551 wireless problem

jamie_simpson64

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Hi, my Acer E5-551 has recently started freezing and crashing due to wireless connection loss. A little Red Cross appears over the wireless icon and it freezes and eventually restarts. I can sometimes manage to fn/f3 so flight mode turns on and I can use the laptop fine but when I check the network connections page the broadband device has disappeared, I can resolve this by disabling the connection in device manager and enabling again but after around 5 mins it happens again.
I’ve tried system restore and 4 different graphics cards drivers as I read about this on other posts but now I’m at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
It could be the modem/router or it could be your ISP. If the connection drops often, it might give your computer problems. Usually that doesn't cause a freeze, but, if you are trying to load something (or multiple somethings) then the computer may get stuck due to the lack of connection.

Try checking to see if the connection is dropping often at home. Then you need to see if it is the the equipment, or just the connection.
Try this....

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "Wi-Fi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your Wi-Fi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

It should now be connected.

NOTE: If this doesn't work, you may want to reset your modem/router, and then once it is fully loaded again, repeat the above steps.

If this doesn't work, test seeing if your laptop will connect via Ethernet. If so, then your WiFi card may be going. You can either look to replace it/have it replaced, or get an external (plugs in via USB) WiFi card.

OK if the connection is good now, then I would think the freezing and rebooting isn't related to it.

Have you done some good virus, malware, etc., scans of the device? Also, if you think on it, did you make any changes (updates, installs, downloads, etc.) just before this started?

jamie_simpson64

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017

Ah ok, I just logically assumed that as I lose wireless connection around a second before it freezes and crashes then it might be that. I mean I presume windows would have had an update but as you know that’s a regular occurrence. Plus I had to system restore a few days ago as it failed to boot.

Edit: ok, so I’ve just scanned it with 3 different anti-virus and it’s found nothing wrong, I disconnected from broadband then reconnected and it crashed as it was reconnecting.

jamie_simpson64

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Update... I can use my laptop at work and uni with no issues at all, the only time that this problem is occurring is at home. It’s SKY broadband, could this be the problem, do I need a new router?

It could be the modem/router or it could be your ISP. If the connection drops often, it might give your computer problems. Usually that doesn't cause a freeze, but, if you are trying to load something (or multiple somethings) then the computer may get stuck due to the lack of connection.

Try checking to see if the connection is dropping often at home. Then you need to see if it is the the equipment, or just the connection.

Solution