vaeron

Estimable
Feb 3, 2015
i have an acer 5741 g lsptop ..when i try to turn it on with or without battery , it makes a single tick noise in hard disk section and turns off...i tried using faulty laptop's hdd in another laptop but it is working fine..
even in some instances after turning off, it automatically tries to turn on but goes through same tick noise and turns off.
can someone please help me..:??:

regards

D

Deleted member 1697763

This is strange, have you looked in the BIOS settings to see if anything in there may be causing it?

vaeron

Estimable
Feb 3, 2015

can u elaborate on what settings in bios i should check.. thanks

D

Deleted member 1697763

Pretty much anything to do with the hard drive :). Also, does it boot with any other hard drive in or is this happening with any hard drive at all?

vaeron

Estimable
Feb 3, 2015

yes i just tried new hdd in faulty laptop but it makes same tick noise an turns off. damn i try going into bios with f2 but it opens cmos and turns off again

D

Deleted member 1697763

OK, can you get access to the CMOS battery in the faulty laptop? Also, is the power adapter providing enough power?

vaeron

Estimable
Feb 3, 2015

replaced ac adaptor and also tried a working fan...but to my bad luck its the same error...cant even get to cmos as it turns off..

D

Deleted member 1697763

The CMOS battery is the thing that provides power to the flash memory on the motherboard - if you can remove it, you will wipe your bios settings and hopefully solve the issue.

vaeron

Estimable
Feb 3, 2015

ok..so should i remove it completly and then turn on or should i replace it?

D

Deleted member 1697763

Just take it out, wait about 20 seconds and put it back in again. It should look like a button cell battery on the motherboard. (It would be awful if you pulled out the wrong thing! :))

vaeron

Estimable
Feb 3, 2015

nope . i think i will buy a new one and then replace it tomorrow..thanks so much sir ..i will surely keep you posted about the update..

regards

D

Deleted member 1697763

Yep! Just double checking :D. Quite honestly, it's not worth buying a new one - unless you get a screen saying "CMOS battery dead" you don't need to replace it - they are designed to last for the lifetime of the computer.