Solved! Acer Laptop not playing DVD's

Nov 8, 2019
Hi, I have a Acer Aspire E15 (E5-521-45BU). I was given it from a friend moving abroad (i.e. didn't buy it new, don't know the history). The first thing I did was reinstall windows 10. We now use it to watch moves on, however recently it has stopped been able to read the DVDs. Then it will read them again then it stops - these are shop brought TV shows- so nothing dodgy(!!). Does anyone know a permanent fix? I have read that various people have problems with DVD drives on ACER laptops after updating to Win 10, I run Win 10 but unawear of whether it was shipped with it or was upgraded to it. Has anybody heard of these types of problems playing DVDs and/or know of solutions?

Thanks,

Paul

Solution
Hi, I have a Acer Aspire E15 (E5-521-45BU). I was given it from a friend moving abroad (i.e. didn't buy it new, don't know the history). The first thing I did was reinstall windows 10. We now use it to watch moves on, however recently it has stopped been able to read the DVDs. Then it will read them again then it stops - these are shop brought TV shows- so nothing dodgy(!!). Does anyone know a permanent fix? I have read that various people have problems with DVD drives on ACER laptops after updating to Win 10, I run Win 10 but unawear of whether it was shipped with it or was upgraded to it. Has anybody heard of these types of problems playing DVDs and/or know of solutions?

Thanks,

Paul

If Windows was the cause of the...

pkcable

Great
Oct 30, 2019
It could be a driver issue. Perhaps the DVD Player's driver needs to be updated to support Win10? You might try checking at the the Acer Support page (Drivers & Manuals section)...

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

You might also try running a system diagnostic from the BIOS. At startup there will be a key, or key combo to enter the BIOS, and within there should be a diagnostic section or option. Often its F2 or Del at startup to enter the BIOS, but it could be another key. Often it says as its booting, what to do.

Thanks,

Paul

If Windows was the cause of the issue, it either will work or not work. Since it works sometimes it is more likely an issue with the DVD player hardware. Try using an external USB drive and see if that works better.

Solution
Nov 8, 2019
Can you tell me how to run a system diagnostic from the BIOS?

Hang-the-9 - just trying to get the drive working as I would like to hook it up to a tv and use it as dvd player

pkcable

Great
Oct 30, 2019
Can you tell me how to run a system diagnostic from the BIOS?

Hang-the-9 - just trying to get the drive working as I would like to hook it up to a tv and use it as dvd player

I looked it up, it is F2 to enter the BIOS on an Acer Laptop. You have to shutdown the computer, then restart it and press F2 as it starts to boot. IF this does not work, you may need to press ctrl, alt, delete, and THEN F2. Once in the BIOS you should find a diagnostic somewhere on the menus.