Solved! Acer Nitro 5 Arrow Key Hinge Removal

ShangWang

Great
Feb 22, 2021
I've been trying to remove the hinge of this type of key but I couldn't find any safe way to remove it. I'm trying to switch it with one of my other key hinges that I don't use because its squeaky.

I tested it with one of the keys I don't use and you may see that I have already failed to remove it because I broke the top piece held by the clip.

I could not find any close computer store that would conveniently remove the hinge for me, nor am I paying a professional to remove it for me.

I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me the EXACT place I should be applying pressure with a screwdriver and any procedures I need to safely remove the hinge.

Solution
I've been trying to remove the hinge of this type of key but I couldn't find any safe way to remove it. I'm trying to switch it with one of my other key hinges that I don't use because its squeaky.

I tested it with one of the keys I don't use and you may see that I have already failed to remove it because I broke the top piece held by the clip.

I could not find any close computer store that would conveniently remove the hinge for me, nor am I paying a professional to remove it for me.

I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me the EXACT place I should be applying pressure with a screwdriver and any procedures I need to safely remove the hinge.

You can't swap those things around easily, the laptops pretty much...

ShangWang

Great
Feb 22, 2021
It's very easy to break these tiny plastic parts. There are many how-to's on youtube for different types of keyboards. You need to search for one that matches your key design. Good luck.
I'm well aware of how easy it is to break it, I've already searched on the internet everywhere for this specific type of hinge but I can't find it anywhere, hence I am asking on this forum for help.

You can't swap those things around easily, the laptops pretty much all have a similar scissor switch design but the exact mounting points and how the mechanism works varies. They are also held in my metal retention brackets to the base of the keyboard. If you get the cap off the key, you can use a small bit of lubricant on the squeaking mechanism and see if that helps. I would not mess with swapping things around, you are more likely to end up with two broken keys instead of one working one.

This should be good enough and more than large enough for you https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-51004-Synthetic-Viscosity/dp/B000UKUHXK/ref=pd_bxgy_img_3/147-1824609-2317217?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000UKUHXK&pd_rd_r=aa6d5ff5-98a1-4b66-b021-6e27d1a75fde&pd_rd_w=PUQcc&pd_rd_wg=VybUu&pf_rd_p=f325d01c-4658-4593-be83-3e12ca663f0e&pf_rd_r=87K5Y6A293X6G3CHVAGM&psc=1&refRID=87K5Y6A293X6G3CHVAGM

Apply a small amount with a thin brush. You may even be able to apply it without removing the keycap depending on the brush you get. Just make sure you don't get the lubricant anywhere except the area you are working, don't just smear it all over the place.

Solution

ShangWang

Great
Feb 22, 2021
Thank you for the suggestion, but the reason for the "squeaky" or "wobbly" problem comes from the pieces of the hinges becoming loose from degradation of being used overtime. I don't plan on buying any product to fix my problem, I know it's not easy to remove the hinge but that is what I am requesting how to do because I'm not choosing any other option.

I already broke a piece of the hinge attempting to remove it, which made it even more unstable than before but it still won't come off. That's why I want to know how to remove the hinge so that I can easily reattach the broken but still attached piece of plastic with super glue so that I can put the hinge back onto the mounts.

I'm not planning to use super glue on the mounts, I'm just using it to reattach the piece of plastic on the hinge.

Last edited: