Acer: Replaced screen not compatible?

METsen

Estimable
Aug 31, 2014
I replaced the screen for the following laptop:

Acer TravelMate 8572G-564G50Mnkk
SNID: 04100510325

which was originally bought in Switzerland.

The original screen had these labels:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Juq3VhvoB56RaoTEtGyckm0pDNSsKTLs/view?usp=sharing

I tried to replace it now with this one which has been shipped from Canada:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XPIQcugpWV-IhUj_Oo-bvgm-dWTotNUz/view?usp=sharing

After installation it did not function, as shown here together with a connected second screen:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o_4-6FbJhNZXhwwrocxpYcFjuMaVtY4h/view?usp=sharing

Questions:
1) Is this screen damaged?
2) Could it be that the screens for North America are different to those in Europe and are thus not compatible?
3) Could the reason be an other hardware problem?

I would very muchh appreciate if someone would be so kind to provide some help..

Thanks and regards
Marcel

Solution
Well you can try hooking up an external monitor and see if things work fine on it. If they do, then the attached one or its cable are the problem. However if the external one won't work either, then it is possible that the GPU is the problem meaning the motherboard may need replacing.
1. There is no way to say it is damaged, but if you just got it and it isn't working, I would return it.

2. It is completely possible that the parts are different. You should always look for the same part as the original.

3. Without knowing what the original problem was, why you replaced the display, there is no way to answer this one.

METsen

Estimable
Aug 31, 2014
On this 8 years old laptop both, the harddisk and the screen started about at the same time to function only occasionally. This showed up by the harddisk requiring several attempts to start Windows. The screen started occasionally to fill with stripes across while starting Windows and worked then normal when using Windows, except that at a few occasions the cursor freezed at some occasion while working on Windows. When these problems became too problematic (occurred too often) I decided to replace the harddisk. After replacing the harddisk the screen did no longer function at all. At the moment I use this laptop with the defective screen installed and using an external screen, this works. With the replacement screen (which also does not function) installed it is not even possible to use the external screen. Only at rare occasions one can notice vaguely an image on the screen but it bleaches out with the screen turning white and the content can no longer be recognised. Trying to make a selection e.g. for starting in protection mode is not possible (selection freezed?).

I am wondering whether the screen problem is really caused by a defective screen, or whether something else could cause the problem. How could one e.g. verify whether there is a problem with the contacts and if so, would it be possible to repair this?

Well you can try hooking up an external monitor and see if things work fine on it. If they do, then the attached one or its cable are the problem. However if the external one won't work either, then it is possible that the GPU is the problem meaning the motherboard may need replacing.

Solution

METsen

Estimable
Aug 31, 2014
Do I understand you correct that the cable with the contacts is part of the GPU which itself is integral part (non-detachable) from the motherboard and that it thus would mean having to replace the complete motherboard?

METsen

Estimable
Aug 31, 2014
May be its of interest for someone dropping on this thread.

I bought the screen in North America because I was told that it would not be availale in the country of my present domicile. I finally asked a diiferent shop and they could obtain a correct replacement within 2 days. Despite their claim, the screen from North America was not compatble with my computer and I had to return it. When replacing the new screen it was dicovered that the GPU did not work well. The shop dismantled the computer and treated the two GPUs with very hot air. This helped and they appear now to work again without any problems. This "treatment" surprised me. The components in a computer are generally critical when exposed to heat. Can someone please explain why this treatment with very hot air could help. Thank you.