Acer s3-391 will not boot (dark screen) Please Help!

carbonweaves

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
Hello, I would really appreciate input or help.
I am unable to get my laptop to start up. One of three things will happen. If I power the computer on without holding any buttons I get the acer "explore beyond limits" screen with a little loading wheel that rotates for about a minute before the screen goes dark. If I power the computer on while holding F8 I get the same acer screen but it says Preparing Automatic Repair underneath that. This stays on for about 10 seconds until disappearing, and after about another 30 seconds the backlight turns off. If I hold alt+10 I get the acer screen briefly, which flashes to a resized acer screen with the load wheel and a Please wait message underneath. Then the screen goes black. What can I do to get the computer to a workable state? Is there a way to reset everything?

One time after about 10 minutes post "alt+F10" a screen came on for a second, just long enough for me to read "encountered a problem" among other text. I don't know if that helps.

Note: If this problem started after an update, please make sure the laptop is not connected to the internet in any way before you use the following instructions.

Try the following...

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
5. Now you want to let the laptop boot to the "Automatic Repair" screen.
6. Click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
7. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
8. From here just follow the screen instructions until the recovery is completed.

NOTE: You will need to get into the "Advanced Options" in order to get the "Refresh Option". This choice will keep your data, but any programs installed will be lost.

Do not do a "Reset" as that will wipe all data you have on the laptop.

carbonweaves

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
webworkings,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately the computer never boots to the Automatic Repair screen. I followed your steps and after step 4 the screen goes dark and nothing else happens. I know you said not to reset because I will lose all data but I have nothing of value saved on here. If I could factory reset I would.

carbonweaves

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from carbonweaves : "Acer s3-391 screen blanks in F2 menu on startup"

My computer screen regularly goes black after startup. If I press F8, recovery starts, but goes black before I get there. If I press altF10, the screen says please wait, then goes black. If I press F2, I get to the blue menu screen, but then it goes black. What is happening? Is this problem fixable? What can I try?