Solved! adding DVD player to analog TV/DirecTV DVR setup

L80magpie

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
What extra equipment do I need to put the DVD player in the mix and take advantage of the player's smart functions?

DirecTV did the connection between the old TV and their equipment, and I don't want to disturb that until I have some idea what I'm doing.

I changed the modem out myself a month or so ago and connected the DVR to it wirelessly. The DVD player is capable of wireless connection also. Could that connect me to the analog TV through the DVR? I'm thinking not.

If the only answer is a smart TV, that's OK. I won't be any worse off than I already am. But if there's some type of connector that will be less expensive than a new TV, that would be great.

Solution
That Coax out is probably for audio. You need to either replace the TV, which is by far the best idea since you can find used TVs for 100-200 with HDMI connections, or get an adapter for the Bluray player from HDMI to whatever inputs your TV has. You don't need a Smart TV but you at least want one with HDMI connections. There are dozens of those on craigslist.

L80magpie

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
I hope I'm doing this right, because this is a response, definitely not a solution!

The DVD player is an LG BP540. It has a LAN (Ethernet) port, an HDMI Out to TV port, a coax out connector, and that's it.

The analog TV is an old GE, built long before smart TVs came on the market.

The DirecTV DVR is their HR44-700 model, which means nothing to me.

Thanks for any advice.

That Coax out is probably for audio. You need to either replace the TV, which is by far the best idea since you can find used TVs for 100-200 with HDMI connections, or get an adapter for the Bluray player from HDMI to whatever inputs your TV has. You don't need a Smart TV but you at least want one with HDMI connections. There are dozens of those on craigslist.

Solution