Additional dell power supply

Kebner41

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hello, I have a Dell Studio 1555 laptop, and a now dead Inspiron 9300 laptop for which I have two power adapters. Is it possible to use the 9300 adapter as a spare/travel adapter for the studio?
They both have the same plug, and the INPUT and OUTPUT POWER specs adapte identical, although the older adapter is fatter. Will it work, or could it damage the Studio?

Hi :)

I own a lappy repair company in the UK...

It COULD damage it...

You need to look for the PA numbers on the black stickers on the Dell chargers...they MUST MATCH...

So if they are both PA 12 for example then fine....

If one is a PA 3E and one is a PA10 then NOT FINE....:(

All the best Brett :)

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I own a laptop repair shop in the US, go figure. The above post is incorrect. It WILL NOT damage your laptop. Period. Genuine Dell computers and AC adapters have fail safe chips in them that will check for compatibility when you plug then in. Plug it in before you boot, press the power button, and if you don't see an error message you are good to go.

Hi :)

It is NOT a fail safe chip....its an identification chip...it CANNOT prevent damage....it CAN tell you whether its a genuine Dell charger or not, but if as an example you put in a 24 volt generic multi voltage charger it COULD BLOW YOUR CHARGING CIRCUIT or motherboard...the chip will not stop that...

All the best Brett :)