Solved! Advice Needed: Need a *SMALL* Android Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 3, 2020
Hi there,

I am in the market for a new phone; and am not at all fond of these massive 5 - 6" + behemoths that dominate the market.

I'd very much appreciate suggestions for Android phones in the 4.2" to 4.8" size range.

My spec requirements are modest:
  • 1.5 - 2 GB RAM and 32 GB ROM will be more than adequate.
  • I don't belong to the "let's take a picture of everything" set; camera resolution is not an issue.
  • Most recent version of Android subject to these constraints.
  • Dual Sim preferred but not essential.
  • My preferred brands are Samsung and Sony - but again, I'm willing to compromise.
Thanks in advance :)

Post Script Edit: I have literally no social media (only use E-mail, Whatsapp & Skype) and I do not play games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hydra119
Solution
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact, really nothing smaller past the very low end stuff or older used phones. Really the best small phone is the iPhone SE. For Android there is nothing small around.

DarkSoulz20

Great
Sep 8, 2020
Hi there,

I am in the market for a new phone; and am not at all fond of these massive 5 - 6" + behemoths that dominate the market.

I'd very much appreciate suggestions for Android phones in the 4.2" to 4.8" size range.

My spec requirements are modest:
  • 1.5 - 2 GB RAM and 32 GB ROM will be more than adequate.
  • I don't belong to the "let's take a picture of everything" set; camera resolution is not an issue.
  • Most recent version of Android subject to these constraints.
  • Dual Sim preferred but not essential.
  • My preferred brands are Samsung and Sony - but again, I'm willing to compromise.
Thanks in advance :)

Post Script Edit: I have literally no social media (only use E-mail, Whatsapp & Skype) and I do not play games.
i made this account just for this. What i would recommend for a "decent phone" would be picking up a used samsung s4 and s5. For software you would have to flash TWRP custom recovery and then from there you can download LineageOS which is a clean google android 9 or 10 (depending on what phone you pick up) These phones can range from 25-50 bucks at kijiji, and an extended battery is around 20 bucks. By picking up a s5 you get 4k camera quality compared to a s4 with 1080p camera quality. If you want tutorials on how to do the software process i can send you some links. The Samsung s4 and s5 is more than better for your needs and really cheap. DM me if you want more info on software installation! S4 runs a snapdragon 600 compared to S5 with 801 both have 2 gb ram and depending on the model a 16-32 ROM, extendable to 128GB via SD card.

Sep 3, 2020
@DarkSoulz20

Thank you for your response. My present phone is, in fact, an S5 mini. Unfortunately the 16 GB ROM is inadequate even for my modest usage - between firmware and the many apps that insist on use internal memory even when an SD card in installed, it becomes a problem. Thank your for your input.

@hang-the-9

Thank you.

The XZ2 looks tolerable sizewise, excellent spec wise, and in the price range I am willing to fork out.

Both of your responses are very much appreciated - I know most of you are fanboys/girls of 6" tabletesque phones for gaming and what not!

@DarkSoulz20

Thank you for your response. My present phone is, in fact, an S5 mini. Unfortunately the 16 GB ROM is inadequate even for my modest usage - between firmware and the many apps that insist on use internal memory even when an SD card in installed, it becomes a problem. Thank your for your input.

@hang-the-9

Thank you.

The XZ2 looks tolerable sizewise, excellent spec wise, and in the price range I am willing to fork out.

Both of your responses are very much appreciated - I know most of you are fanboys/girls of 6" tabletesque phones for gaming and what not!

If not just used for texting and calls the larger phones have a big advantage for use as general device for videos and reading web pages and emails. A lot of people, especially in poorer countries, use their cell phone as their only computer like device, so all the facebook, pictures, movies, youtube, etc.. goes through the phone screen.

I was stuck with only liking a smaller 4-5" screen till I used some of the larger ones and it's not hard to get used to carrying one. I slowly crept up in size and currently have a 6.4" Moto Z4 phone. It's not just the size of the screen but also for the fact that the newer phones with larger screens also get the most modern technology in both screen quality and phone speeds. In a few weeks of use the larger phone will feel pretty natural to use. Not really worth limiting yourself to only a few devices and leaving out dozens others because of a single feature one may not like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hydra119
Status
Not open for further replies.