AirTV Player Review: Android TV Meets Antenna TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benedetto_1

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
you have to be kidding me, I had purchased the airtv player with the tuner . I have 2 TVs and an external tuner and they all get consistently 39 channels. This piece of crap only pulled in 19 channels no matter what I tried. Also the integration is just the same as any other android tv box that has the live channels section so don't be fooled by all the hype. Also storage is only a measly 8gb.

Benedetto_1

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
Only dual core , also could not set up sound device using the remote, kept getting message trouble connecting to the internet, try again later. Lastly the remote suddenly would no longer connect despite resetting it still no luck. I gave up a shield android tv player for this hunk of junk. And no the shield is not yet compatible with usb tuners despite what this article says. Should be coming in the next update though

Benedetto_1

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
The live channels on this player are listed as a group at the end of the sling line up, selecting it just takes you to the android live channels section

Jose_116

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
I have it for two weeks and I love it for streaming my apps like YouTube and Netflix and watch all my local channels from an off air antenna. I am not a Sling TV subscriber. Due to I have to split the off air antenna signal between my living room TV and the Air TV player, I installed a Channel Master antenna signal booster distribution amplifier and that help to keep all my 57 local channels on both devices.The remote control can control the volume and power for my TV and the soundbar but I will prefer two power buttons, one for TV and one for Air TV player instead of one single button. Yes, is a little confuse to navigate but it very quick. The 4K video and sound are awesome. The remote control has a Google voice command to help to search the apps which is great.

scottalias

Estimable
Aug 12, 2015
It's a good idea. I hope PS Vue makes something similar, with fewer faults. Google's YouTube TV is supposed to include local channels.

riceburner82xx

Prominent
May 9, 2017
I think you should try using the AirTV a little more and re-write this. First & foremost, yes, the Sling TV is the main point of the gig; however the diamond button at the bottom of the remote, that you said has no clear point, simply brings you out of the Sling TV interface and into the Android TV interface, where you can get to a slew of other apps, such as Kodi, VLC, ES File Manager (all of these have to be downloaded from the Android TV store) ect..... Your article makes it seem as if you're literally stuck in the Sling TV interface w/ no viable way to get out of it. It's really quite simple. Press that diamond button and you're at a regular Android TV interface. It's all extremely simple to navigate.

vader922

Prominent
May 13, 2017
slingtv LIES about AIRTV. I was going to get the free ROKU Express for my 2nd TV last week. 2 different people told me about the AIRTV pulling in OTA and ALLOWING ME TO RECORD TO THE CLOUD DVR. Went further saying I could then watch any of my recordings on my existing ROKU on the AIRTV and vice versa because 'it was all sling". NONE OF THIS IS TRUE so do NOT BELIEVE them. The rep I just talked to said she had gotten bombarded this week with these LIES to customers. THERE IS NO DATE OF AVAILABILITY FOR THE AIRTV. SINCE you are STUCK with SLINGTV only on the AIRTV this is NOT THE WAY FOR ANY CORD CUTTER TO GO. Now, after an hour of setup, I have to unhook and send it back and they are 'iffy' and when I will get credit at all. Have to call back again for that information! AIRTV and SLINGTV I predict will be gone soon as people move to other options than SlINGTV. Better options out there. For those wanting to record OTA just get the 15.00 HD antennae and a 25.00 digital converter that allows you to record OTA. or if you can afford TABLO 2 or 4 do that. I am FUMING.

vader922

Prominent
May 13, 2017
Do NOT believe SlingTV about the piece of junk AIRTV. I had 2 ppl at Sling tell me this week it would work with Cloud DVR and talk to my other ROKU device. THEY LIED. IT DOES NOT AND THEY HAVE NO DATE OF IF or WHEN it will work with Cloud. Do not let them talk you into the so called deal. ALSO you can only use SLING with this device. I predict SlingTV and AIRTV will be lose customers. The rep today said she was bombarded with customers calling her about the same LIE from SlingTV. Just get the ROKU device, a 15.00 HD antennae if you are within 60 miles of towers and buy a 20.00 Converter from Wallmart that will allow you to RECORD OTA. If you keep SLING with Cloud then you have what you need for far less and no restrictions on switching to another option than SLINGTV. PlaystationVUE is even a better option than this. AVOID THE LIES AT SLINGTV about the AIRTV.

vader922

Prominent
May 13, 2017
To clarify on the "no date for AirTV", I meant for the DVR CLOUD option that you can get on ROKU and other devices. They lied that it was working on the AIRTV and it does not and they do not know if or when it ever will they told me today.,

aposzich

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
The SlingTV box itself is OK. In that I mean it is mediocre. For me it is good because I dont have any other devices that have players or apps such as a smart TV or smart BD player. It definitely needs some love on the software side. It can be buggy. Some on demand shows will refuse to play which is super annoying if your watching a series and all the episodes will play except for one. Some times on Netflix a show will simply not load. YouTube is the worst though with around 30-40% of videos will not play.

I got the box for $50 when i prepaid for 3 mouths of Sling TV subscription. For $50 this box doesn't disappoint me too badly. I'm not going to sing its praise though either.

clintandtamm

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot find actual specs on this player anywhere. What type of digital audio connection does the player have? I assume to separate the audio from the video signal that you must use a digital audio cable plugged directly into the AirTV player along with your HDMI cable. My stupid projector does not let the audio pass through to any other device. It is either the built-in speaker or silence so I guess I have to split the signals at the AirTV box.

gcuster08

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017
Purchased Sling and the AirTV via the promotion. Loaded Sling on my Samsung tablet, hooked up the ChroneCast to the TV and tried to watch. Sound was not synced with video - ran the trouble shooting guide, called, had a tech type help to no avail. Said my internet was too slow - needed at least 5Mbps. Well I'm running at 39.7 so that didn't seem to be the problem. Tech suggested I purchase a better tablet. Suppose the next thing would be a newer $2000 TV. Didn't like the confusing channel guides and the 30 seconds or more to change channels. There is a reason cable companies are still in business. Someone solves these problems they could make Bill Gates look like a piker.

I had Sling for 2 hours - didn't get to the AirTV part because 1 hour delivery is nt realistic. I do really want to dump Spectrum - have the HD antenna and it works great - thought this was the answer. How disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.