Alienware 15 r3 0x124 whea uncorrectable error crash and now stuck in boot loop

con_tagious

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
My 4 months old alienware 15 r3 crashed once showing an whea uncorrectable error 0x124 and is from then stuck in boot loop. Automatic repair also won’t open. The laptop was overheating very much from quite some time but I didnt care as I thought it might be happening because I use keeping it on a bed but the bottom of the laptop was very hot, like I cannot pick it up with my hands hot. Then it crashed. I was not updating any drivers or anything at that moment. I turned intel speedstep off and tried booting. Windows booted and everything worked fine but slow. I noticed that CPU is stuck at 800mhz and multiplier is stuck at 8. It won’t increase than 800mhz even under high load. Please help. As soon as I turn speedstep back on, it again gets stuck in boot loop.

Specs:

Alienware 15 r3 laptop
Core i7 7700hq
16gb hyundai ram
128gb ssd+1tb hdd
Nvidia gtx 1070 8gb

Solution
No messing with the CMOS won't do it. It will get damaged from heat like that regularly yes. If not careful you could wind up doing more damage than there already is. I would have it looked at.
The problem is that it could be the CPU or the GPU that is the problem. Overclocking can lead to this problem also. You could try updating your BIOS, but that is no guaranty. Especially with the overheating, I would think there is a hardware issue not a software one.

con_tagious

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

I will contact them but i will have to buy warranty of my country. Will resetting the cmos battery help? Also, i can reach upto 2.8 ghz using throttlestop, but as soon as i reach 2.8 ghz the system crashes, while playing light games such as dota 2, and at 2.4ghz fixed clock, the cpu temperature is 89-93 degrees. Is my cpu getting damage from such heat?