Alienware 17 doesn't post after overclock

SamXevor

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
Hi there,
I own an alienware 17 (november '14) with a gtx 765m, i7-4700mq. My screen was the 1600x900 resolution, running at 110Hz.
While trying to overclock I noticed that my memory speed and clock speed of my gpu were very low and they wouldn’t change even if I changed my oc. I decided to do a reboot, which also had Windows updates bound to it. When my laptop tried to boot, it failed and beeped 8 times. I got it to boot after that, by taking out the cmos. I did notice that my gpu drivers didn't work anymore. I decided to reboot again after deleting the drivers, to perform a fresh instal of my gpu drivers. After the shutdown I couldn't get it to post anymore. I'm assuming that I broke my Gpu even though the 8 beeps refer to an lcd failure.
If my gpu broke, is it possible to make my laptop boot without it? It is important to know that my integrated gpu wasn't getting detected in the bios, which wasn't a problem in the past, but now it could be usefull to boot using the integrated GPU.

Has anyone got a clue what I could do? Getting a new gpu isn't cheap.

I hope someone can help, thanks in advance,
Sam

SamXevor

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
Just like you said, I cleared the cmos and started up my computer. After this I get 5 beeps and have to restart again. When it tries to start I get 8 beeps again. This is the case with and without my gpu installed.
What can I conclude out of this? That my gpu is definetly broken, or could it still be my screen, or the connection between my screen and gpu (cable).
If it is in fact my gpu, is there a way to start my pc without the use of my gpu? I'd like to use my pc even if the gpu is dead.
Thanks for the suggestion,
Sam

SamXevor

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
Doesn't the processor have intel graphics? And if the gpu's broken, then I should probably replace/upgrade it, or isn't that wurth it?
Thanks for your answer,
Sam

SamXevor

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
So I do have an igpu, but a broken (probably) dedicated gpu. Can I use my igpu to boot my machine, or do I need to get a new dedicated gpu to make my machine boot?
Thanks again,
Sam

SamXevor

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
I've also did another test, I started by clearing the CMOS, then I hooked my laptop up to my tv via hdmi. I started my laptop, got the 5 beeps again. Restarted the laptop and I saw that my tv wasn't searching for signals anymore, but it's screen stayed Black. After this the laptop makes the 8 beeps again. I can probably go looking for a new gpu now... The only thing I'd still like to know is that if there is an option to boot without the gpu installed (or with the broken one installed)
Thanks yet again,
Sam

Jhiand

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
Hey new here,

and also having a similar problem. Went into the bios and my overclocked feature which wasn't enabled, but when I did enable it and turned off a setting inside 'fan performance mode' my laptop doesn't post anymore after a reboot.

Is getting a new Gpu the only solution? I didn't do any overclocking, how do you get the integrated card to take over so it can post?