rolandzhang3

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
The i5 will give you slightly superior performance in everyday usage, but they both just about perform very closely for the most part

The 8550G APU performs better than the HD 4400 on the intel laptop so the AMD laptop has slightly better graphical performance

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
if it isn't for portable reasons, why get a laptop?
you will get more performance and a better price for a desktop

If you still really want a laptop then get the AMD one. they are both quad core cpu's and the AMD runs at 2.1ghz whereas the I5 is only 1.6ghz

AshyCFC

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
In answer to question one: My mother wants to be able to use it in different rooms around the house and although I have told her the statement about better price and performance NUMEROUS times she is adamant about the laptop.

by the way she currently has a terrible pc with an Intel Pentium 4 2.93GHz processor so any of these I think will be a massive improvement. The benchmarks seem to be higher for the i5 than the A8 though.

rolandzhang3

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Core clock isn't everything, a quad core 3570k at 3.40 GHz trades blows with an 8 core FX-8350 running at 4.0 GHz

So having a slightly higher core clock doesn't really mean much

The i5 performs generally better but not by much

That i5 is a hyperthreaded dual core, its single thread performance is the equivalent of two of the A8's cores

Either is fine really, since physical cores are always better than logical cores, the A8 is worth considering

But given the slight performance benefit of that i5 as well as power efficiency (even if not an issue), I'd stick with the i5 for everyday tasks

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Pretty much either should be fine, there won't be noticeable difference between the two.
However that's different from saying they will perform very well. They are good portable CPUs but don't compare to a basic desktop CPU.

If you had to go with either it would probly be the amd in my opinion...

AshyCFC

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013

yeah I know about the laptop vs desktop but it's what she's got her mind set on so that's what we're going to get her. Gonna order the AMD one as we was planning on if getting a pc getting one based on an A10-6800 anyway but can settle for this.