AMP, DAC, Soundcard?

jar00d

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015
Can someone please tell me the uses of each of these? All I know is that the AMP is used along with a DAC. If i have an amp, do i need a soundcard and vice versa? What would be the best option for me? I have the sennheiser g4me zero headphones

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
A DAC is a sound card that sits outside your PC. It doesn't require you to install drivers to work.

An AMP basically increase the max volume your PC can output.

You don't really need any of these with your headphones but they would benefit from having them. You could always get a sound card with a built in AMP, like the asus xonar line of cards.

jar00d

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015

I want the max potential out of my headphones. They say it's not worth these headphones unless I get one of these three

guanyu210379

Distinguished
If you want a good AMP for good headphones, do not go lower than ASUS Essence STX II's quality.
There should be better ones...even perhaps better and cheaper..but that STX 2 should be your lowest quality standard.

You can ignore my next blabber:
If money is really not an issue, I would start looking at Sennheiser Orpheus, it is a DAC+Amp+Headphone bundle.
It should cost only USD 55k

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
The problem with the Sennheiser GAME ZERO is that they aren't good enough to justify the expense of a high-end sound card / AMP / DAC. They are based off the Sennheiser 598 which can regularly be found for $100 on sale. Anyone who buys the GAME Zero is simply being fleeced by the gamer tag added to the brand name and the same goes double for turtle beach and like headsets. For the price of the Game Zero you could have either bought better headphones or better headphones and a better mic.

Sure, you could buy something like the ASUS Xonar Essence STX II but it'd mostly be a waste of money. Rule number one, always upgrade headphones first. It provides far more benefit that a DAC / AMP does. I would not recommend a sound card over $90 for what you have.

This is the absolute highest I'd recommend you get
http://www.play-asia.com/asus-xonar-essence-stx-pcie-x1/13/7091a7

and it would be good enough for your next pair of headphones too. The Xonar II is not an upgrade to this card and as far as sound cards go, this is the best for sound quality on the market. After this you have to buy a DAC if you want something better.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
BTW..sorry to forget this..what is/are your other headphone/s? or the Game Zero is your only one?

Gaming headphones are overpriced and relatively good for nothing if you consider the price tag.

The headphones play the biggest role on sound quality, followed by the DAC/Amp than audio source.

TRENDING THREADS