Android - Arduino Programming, best phone/tablet

tom_dobro

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
Ok so I've been getting into electronics lately, arduino mostly, and wanted to program an app to interface with the arduino wirelessly.

Was wondering what would be a good phone/tablet to do this? Maybe the Nexus 4? The Nexus 7 (tablet)? I'm saying the nexus ones coz they're the pure android interface, in my head that sounds like it'd be better for programming. But really, I have no idea.

So, suggestions please.

Budget ~300USD

Solution
Ok, uh. So what I got from this, was; you have no knowledge at all about Android devices or programming, and you want to make an app?

You'll need to do a lot of learning. Particularly Dalvik and Java coding along with Linux command processing.

Once you have the developers kit and you've figured out how to use it efficiently and properly, you can try coding an app and testing it in a virtual Android device on your PC.

You can find more information here.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Ok, uh. So what I got from this, was; you have no knowledge at all about Android devices or programming, and you want to make an app?

You'll need to do a lot of learning. Particularly Dalvik and Java coding along with Linux command processing.

Once you have the developers kit and you've figured out how to use it efficiently and properly, you can try coding an app and testing it in a virtual Android device on your PC.

You can find more information here.

Solution

tom_dobro

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

You sir, have me. Still tho, if you have any suggestions for a device I'd appreciate it. Even if I give up before I get to the actual use of a phone, I need a new phone. I don't particularly like apple, so android it is.

EdgeSync

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
If you're programming, you won't NEED a tablet as such, just run it on a virtual device in eclipse. If you absolutely have to put your app on a device, you can't go wrong with any decent brand. I have a cheap chinese tablet(Brand names Pulso) and it's rubbish for putting my apps on, but my galaxy s2 is fantastic for it.

You can't really go wrong with a decent brand name android device. look for a second hand nexus or galaxy tab 2 or something.

Hope that helped :)

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I was actually just going to say Nexus but Edge beat me to it.

The Nexus 4 by Google has some of the best hardware on the market at the moment and costs roughly half of what a Galaxy S3 does from Samsung.

JoaquinSitra

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

Budget ~300USD you can look this tableat(Yuandao N90FHDRK),its ultra-large 10000mAh Battery Capacity and the Android 4.1 OS , 1.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor is so nice.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
The only nice spec I see in that tablet is the high resolution of the screen. I'd also never recommend purchasing anything from a brand no one has ever heard of.

That aside, the OP asked for phone recommendations not a tablet.
Even if I give up before I get to the actual use of a phone, I need a new phone. I don't particularly like apple, so android it is.