Anonymous Threatens to "Destroy" Facebook in November

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ioa94

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Do it. Put an end to data-mining on such a large scale. It's fucked up what Facebook does, and I'm getting rid of mine.

G

Facebook are you listening... no one but your social deviates without any friends in real life care about what happens to your website. In fact, we all can't wait for you to up and implode. Your website is one of the reasons why people have a stronger bond with their computer than actual people. Anon, flip the bit on permissions to make all private profiles public... that should destroy their reputation for all times sake. Burn baby burn!!

RoboTree

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
To everyone who says facebook addicts are stuck in a virtual world with no 'real' friends - the most active friends on facebook that I have are also the most socially active in the real world - communicating with friends, posting photos, sharing events - what facbook is designed for. Those who don't seem to use it much are the people who dont go out as much, with a less active social life (generally speaking).

Now, I'm no scientist (yet), but doesn't Anonymous support things such as Wikileaks - the idea of openness, transparency, and information being open to all. Yet they also want to keep everyone's data private - this case in point, and also many of facebook's users are completely aware of what they're getting themselves into. Seems like a case of picking and choosing what's right based on a very subjective opinion. Now I'm sure there's some hypocrisy in there somewhere.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Bookmark my post. The Hactivist will not bring down Facebook. They are going to embarrass themselves while failing. Then, they will slink back to their mamma's basement and fire-up WoW to cover up their shame. They hide in the shadows like petty criminals under the guise they are inflicting justice. They have yet to accomplish anything permanent in their efforts, as each victim has recovered from their sophomoric attempts to bring down "the man." What they have done is rally up a bunch of teenage fans and teenage pawns in support of their anti-corporate vendettas.

AEternal1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
youre no more safe than anyone else just because you never created a facebook account. reality check. if you have friends or family who use facebook, or any other site, your info is being bandied about like everyone elses. when your friend posts about you, youre in, when your mother sends your wedding invite to all of her best friends, youre in. doesnt matter, given enough dots, and enough people, youre in. youre only safe if no one you know, family or otherwise, still ives in an amish community.....but even thats only mildly safe, as i hear they do that whole one year in the real world bit.....

killing facebook, or any major website for that matter will truly accomplish nothing in the end. delete a few servers worth of info, whatever, everyone will want their fix, and will gladly refill those servers with all their personal data.

AEternal1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
oh, and one more thing, thanks to facebook, i was able to stalk the woman who has since become my wife, and bearing my first kid, so, its not all bad. without facebook, i might never have spoken to her again after meeting at a party briefly. facebook gave me awesome powers of search based off of very vague information, and after a few stalker like browings of her page, i was able to determine what she liked enough to come up with the perfect pick up line to woo her with.
so, go ahead and tell me that data shouldnt be easily available. ( TRUE STORY )

Coogie7

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
The anonymous group really isn't doing anyone any favors. All they do is cause chaos. It is frightening to think about what they are capable of.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
H8 to break this to every1.

FB backs up all their data. So even if you get past the firewalls and the directed IP ports, you are still doing nothing that can't be restored.

Plus lets not forget that FB doesn't run on 1 server but multiple hundreds.

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]ioa94[/nom]Do it. Put an end to data-mining on such a large scale. It's fucked up what Facebook does, and I'm getting rid of mine.[/citation]
Well, gl with that since you can't "get rid" of your FB account, it only goes dormant. I don't agree with what FB does, but, I don't know about taking the site down. It'll get attention if they do, but, odds are there's gonna be government all over it if (or when) it happens. I can appreciate the basis of what they do, since, in the end, they're trying to help, but, as for the "not doing anything permanent" comment, they don't need to take these guys down for the long haul, they got the info they were after. Anon, I agree with exposing companies and corporations for abusing customers, using them, even treating them like crap. Taking down FB? I don't know if that's really gonna do much other than make people that let their kids starve so they can tend to their virtual farm actually pay attention to the real world. It MAY wake some people up, which, in the end, is justified in my eyes, but, long-term? They'll just continue with what they're already doing, I don't see them changing anything. Plus, with the money they have behind them, even if you did "take them down," they probably have a few back up servers offline, ready to go.

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]AEternal1[/nom]oh, and one more thing, thanks to facebook, i was able to stalk the woman who has since become my wife, and bearing my first kid, so, its not all bad. without facebook, i might never have spoken to her again after meeting at a party briefly. facebook gave me awesome powers of search based off of very vague information, and after a few stalker like browings of her page, i was able to determine what she liked enough to come up with the perfect pick up line to woo her with.so, go ahead and tell me that data shouldnt be easily available. ( TRUE STORY )[/citation]
Also: really? Proud that you stalked someone. Awesome.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
If they want to do good (which I rather suspect they don't) such a group could devise an alternative that maintained privacy without screwing up usability. Half the problems of Facebook etc probably come from confused good intentions and cock-ups rather than malice.

G

go anon! but fb will make precautions and backups.. how do you want to defeat that?

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
[citation][nom]holdingholder[/nom]What the hell is up with all the "yes, great please destroy facebook!" comments. I for one actually like Facebook, it's a great way to link up with and keep in touch with old friends from school and people you haven't seen in years. I would be pretty pissed if it went down.[/citation]

Pay attention, Facebook is not what it seems.

JamesT5192

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
um... you guys do realize that no one from FB comes to your house to verify the information you put on there, right? If you put your info out there, you MUST realize it goes to everyone these days.
To everyone ranting about the government spying on you through FB: THEY already know your name, THEY already have your SSN (it was issued to you by the gov), THEY already have your job history (tax info), THEY have your photo on file (drivers licence).
To anyone ranting about how they sell your info to companies: You agreed that your "likes" would be shared with their partners (anyone willing to pay for your info). What you like gets turned into the ads you see for similar products. That's called marketing, it's how 'free' services like FB are funded. I'm not a fan of it, but you're delusional if you thought it wouldn't happen.

atldawgy

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
JamesT5192,

Thank you! People profess to be so informed but are really so ignorant. We are all the The System and have been for a long time. Unless you're very old then you've been in The System since birth. FB isn't doing anything new by practicing data mining or information reselling. FB simply does it better than the others. Unless you are an illegal, you are already registered with the government with your valid information. To be honest, FB saves tax payers a lot of money since the government and its intelligence agencies are basically outsourcing intelligence gathering to a private industry in online companies like FB.

BTW, I cannot log into FB this morning. Did they shutdown in response to this article or did Anonymous start early? LOL.

johnsmithhatesVLC

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
It's common knowledge that free online services take your info to make money. It's just that nobody gives a crap. They just don't understand why privacy is important.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]AEternal1[/nom]oh, and one more thing, thanks to facebook, i was able to stalk the woman who has since become my wife, and bearing my first kid, so, its not all bad. without facebook, i might never have spoken to her again after meeting at a party briefly. facebook gave me awesome powers of search based off of very vague information, and after a few stalker like browings of her page, i was able to determine what she liked enough to come up with the perfect pick up line to woo her with.so, go ahead and tell me that data shouldnt be easily available. ( TRUE STORY )[/citation]
"Stalking" is more correctly associated with an unwanted advance. What you did is pursue a romantic interest - who welcomed your attention - at least at some point. ;) In a sense, what you did is really no different than getting her phone number and calling her. Now had she not welcomed your attention, then it would have been "stalking" in the sense of the word most commonly used in the modern world.

In cases like yours, I agree that facebook could be as useful as other means, but it is not the only means. I expect that you figure that any unwanted exposure to marketing wonks, spam, etc., was worth it for the rewards you received. I would. A good, long-lasting relationship is, IMHO, worth whatever reasonable measures it takes.

Did you abandon the account? If I were you, I would at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.