Anonymous Threatens to "Destroy" Facebook in November

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]johnsmithhatesVLC[/nom]It's common knowledge that free online services take your info to make money. It's just that nobody gives a crap. They just don't understand why privacy is important.[/citation]
Maybe they do not know what privacy is, or if they do, they decided to give up their right to privacy. It is a decision all should have the right to make.

dirk101

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I'm note sure I realize exactly what the commenters here are getting worked up about. The information you can post on Facebook on your profile is only made up of likes and preferences, which you can very well not post. How is this information so important to you that you'd get upset over someone giving it to others? And what exactly can those who receive the information do with it, give you different ads?

I myself use Facebook, and find it to be a useful tool to share things with others in ways you couldn't otherwise. If you somehow don't like such sites, then by all means don't use them, but it's childish to claim that they cause anyone any sort of harm.

As far as there being people who manage to "get addicted" to Facebook, this is something that has more to do with the person than the site. There are people "addicted" to classical music, but you wouldn't reasonably suggest destroying classical music. You would, on the other hand, show the person how it's negatively affecting their life and how to ease up on this "addiction" for their own good.

It merely seems to me that all arguments against Facebook are either silly or foolish. Post information on the Internet expecting that someone you don't want can have access to it, and all this silliness is done with. Expecting complete privacy on the Internet in this day and age is nonsense, if you're not up to speed with this by now, that's your own fault. Not filling in things on your Facebook page isn't that hard.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I'm on FB. I say kill it. This will be fun. Can't wait to see the look on my friends' faces. One question though. How will Anon be able to do this?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Facebook is a huge drain on the economy. I know a few people in the health care industry and they spend probably 80% of every shift on FB. Kill it now and help fix the economy.

satoshen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
"When a service is "free," it really means they're making money off of you and your information." Very true statement, but why single out Facebook? How about Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Apple, etc. Aren't they all doing the same thing? Pretty much when I purchase a product or use a service, I'm subject to advertising and 3rd party advertising regardless of whether it's an online service or a brick and mortar store. (not to mention browser cookies) I'm all for consumer protection on the internet, so perhaps this will at least spark some debate on the topic.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
I am a facebook user and I am just fed up of all those nasty tricks facebook does to steal more and more info from me. Leaving facebook won't kill that information anyway, so I hope Anonymous kills facebook for once and for all. I won't join any other social networking sites thereafter. (Yeah, haven't joined Google+)

udg

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Yeah Facebook does suck, I hate the folks who think they have freinds because they have over 1000 freinds on it when they know about 5 to 10 of them and that's mostly their own family.

cybnetic

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
this is just the cover. Next will be the insurance companies, credit databases, banks!! these are some of the worst offenders. I can go on and on. its time for people to start taking back their live and data. All these institutions and governments database you without your permission. revolution is coming.....

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]scalor[/nom]I would understand if Facebook forced people to create accounts, but they're not. Why don't they do something useful and go after the RIAA.[/citation]
Nope, you don't have to create an account to have one. Ever noticed you run FB script upon opening every major site, including Tom's? If you bother with investigating all that internet tracking you'll see Facebook isn't the No.1 threat to privacy.

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
I am loosing respect for anon. Why would you announce the day of attack. They are showing their age and I would guess teens and younger running the show. Lets see we are going to attack fb on blah blah date. Do they not think the server admins will be on their toes now and from now on. Script kiddies -1

invinci

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
whether anon take it down or not, FB will not last longer..

I dont like fb at all but i do have an account for friends sake.. but i don't use much cause

once you get in to it then mind
becomes greedy, more selfish and you keep

who liked you this and who
replied about this etc..

& miss the reality of life which is outside, which is with interacting with family & friends in reality, thats a real joy!

I just laugh at people who show off just becoz some friends likes his post..And brags in front of everyone..

It just makes you live 2 lifes..one which is fake and one which is narrow..

G

At last, take facebook down. Facebook is for tards and my ex-wife. Bring it down, can't wait!!

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
information is power and governments with hidden agendas have been known to purchase information to target individuals.

Don't post what you wouldn't want everyone else to know.

hack on Anon.

Do it up.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Well, they aren't lying. All the people involved with managing facebook are associated with CIA information processing companies.

Wait until facial recognition software is good enough to scan through all your facebook photos. Thanks for tagging everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.