Anyone want to help a novice set up my MsiGT73VR 6re? Please?

nednerbish

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
It wasn't running games right when it arrived so I did a fresh install of win 10 and full format of D drive so its empty (deleted all my steam games) I'm going to have a ton of questions. but really do need help please. Would do private chat or In forum I don't care I just want it to run right.

Solution
I ended up sending it in for an Rma after Amazon seller suggested I do it. It went really quick surprisingly. It seems the problem was they switched the 1070 chips to Samsung chips and the motherboard wasn't reading them right. They were set up for a different chip so they Flash a ROM on the GPU and the motherboard and I'm getting right now a hundred and ten frames per second on Max settings on Dishonored 2 so I haven't had any issues at all :D But thank you for all your help!

Flyfisherman

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Hi,
No, Tom's usually (as I can understand it) keeps everything here, in the forum, so if anybody with a similar problem can search for it and also get help.

Now, What is the problem?
What games?
What h/w: Computer and graphics manufacturer and model?
Describe in detail what is going on.

Best regards from Sweden

nednerbish

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
Ok I got this "latest, greatest' notebook off amazon from xotic pc. Its an i7, w a gtx 1070 and 16gb ram a 120gb ssd and a 1tb hdd. 2 years agoI built my 1st pc a desktop. I've never owned a laptop before. My desktop was alsoi7, gtx970 w 256ssd and 2x 1tb hdd and 8gb ram. When I the got this the1st thing I did was install steam and a bunch of games. Also some monitoring things like msi afterburner, cpu-z did a few heaven and valley benchmarks. No tearing no issues. Score seemed low for an 8gb gpu. I ran GtA5 Started it up and it ran for a little w some stutters here n there but once I got in a fast car id get a ton of vertical black lines almost like a line blob then a loud buzzing and itd crash. I loaded up Dishonored, played no problem. The thing was running slow out of games too. In task manager my 16gb of ram was pegged. And the nortons trial thing kept telling me high ram usage all the time. Couldn't figure it out. I had enough So I put win 10 on a flash drive and did a clean install. the D drive I did a FULL format. took forever. So its like I'm starting completely over. I was told to go to Msi notebook section and install all the drivers. But thenwastold some I don't need to. Heres what they are chipset(done), next were the 2 vga 1st NVidia and 2nd intel. Was told to do NVidia through site and skip intel. Then comes 2 intel rapid storage tech 1st is irst intel mobile express chipset. 2nd is intel rapid storage tech irst (install floppy). Then is audio driver with a volute nahamic. Theres a bunch more and itll take forever for me to keep writing these out heres the exact linkthat shows every driver for this notebook. I don't know what to di. Do them all or do I just need some(like I heard)
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GT73VR-6RE-Titan.html#down-driver&Win10 64

I'm good with mechanical things and my desktop was a breeze. This notebook has me spinning in circles. I got it the 16th and still cannot enjoy all my games. I did install steam so far on my D: drive with a few 5 games. Please any input will be greatly appreciated! - Brenden

Flyfisherman

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I did a fresh install of win 10 and full format of D drive so its empty
This could explain the low latency and low performance.
Every time one has a new Windows (du to a new computer or a fresh Windows installation), do the following:

Start > Settings > Update & security > Windows update => Search for updates.
If updates is being installed, just wait and restart the computer when it says so.

Repeat until there are no more updates. It could take several hours, if not more to fulfill this.

Restart the computer again.

Ps. Now - how is everything working?

nednerbish

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014

It said windows updates are up to date?

nednerbish

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
Heres my update history. these All failed-#1 Qualcomm Atheros Communications - Bluetooth Controller - Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Bluetooth 4.1, #2 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - MEDIA - 11/15/2016 12:00:00 AM - 6.0.1.798, #3Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Management Engine Interface, #4 NVIDIA - Display - 11/10/2016 12:00:00 AM - 21.21.13.7586 #5 Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PMC - A121 #7 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Other hardware - Realtek PCIE CardReader #8 Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Xeon(R) E3 - 1200/1500 v5/6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) Gaussian Mixture Model - 1911

Flyfisherman

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Ok. It sounds like major corrupt file system?

Try this:
1. Start the computer in Safe mode
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2304-safe-mode-start-windows-10-a.html

2. Run System File Checker (sfc /scannow) it will check the integrity and try to repair system files

Start > type 'cmd' > chose 'Run as Administrator' > new window > type sfc /scannow

Because in Safe mode, very few drivers and services is loaded and none external autostart s/w and then it will free up otherwise locked system files to be checked and possible repaired.

3. While You are at it in Safe mode:
Start > type cmd > in the list right click on the CMD.EXE and chose 'Run as Administrator' > new window > type chkdsk /f [Enter]

4. After that you can try (still in Safe mode):
Right click on Start > type cmd > in the list right click on CMD.EXE and chose 'Run as administrator' >
copy and paste this or just type it:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

5. Next: and here is the very important step:
Click Start > type Power > in the list right click on Power shell > run as Administrator > copy this exactly:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml"}
If you right click in the Power Shell window the test string will automatically copy itself into Power Shell.
Press Enter

Best regards from Sweden

nednerbish

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
I downloaded all the drivers for the notebook from msi site extracted and installed all but 1 or 2 and everything is working great now. I just had Just cause on max settings getting 60-100fps. I think wiping this thing clean, doing a fresh install of win 10, fully formatting my D drive then doing all the drivers worked. I'll see for sure once I get gta5 downloaded as that was where I had the most issues.

Flyfisherman

Honorable
May 29, 2012
If You are doing a fresh install, You must do the following before anything else:

Every time one has a new Windows (due to a new computer or a fresh Windows installation), do the following:

1. Start > Settings > Update & security > Windows update => Search for updates.
If updates is being installed, just wait and restart the computer when it says so.

2. Repeat until there are no more updates. It could take several hours.

3. Restart the computer again and check for Windows updates and restart.

4. Install the manufacturers drivers and restart.

5. Run Windows update again and restart.
The reason is that it might be som older drivers being installed before and very important to install these first and sometimes (very often actually) the manufacturer has released WHQL drivers to the Windows database, and therefore the latest hardware driver will be installed from Windows update.

Best regards from Sweden

nednerbish

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
I ended up sending it in for an Rma after Amazon seller suggested I do it. It went really quick surprisingly. It seems the problem was they switched the 1070 chips to Samsung chips and the motherboard wasn't reading them right. They were set up for a different chip so they Flash a ROM on the GPU and the motherboard and I'm getting right now a hundred and ten frames per second on Max settings on Dishonored 2 so I haven't had any issues at all :D But thank you for all your help!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS