Apple Lets Go of iPhone Hacker for Not Replying to Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Welcome to the real world. Proving once again that being good at programming tends to negatively affect social skills...

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Someone at Apple should whip out their iPhone and call this guy back. It wouldn't cost them more than a few cents and a minute of their time.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
[citation][nom]sixdegree[/nom]Someone at Apple should whip out their iPhone and call this guy back. It wouldn't cost them more than a few cents and a minute of their time.[/citation]
If he can't even reply to what's a pretty important email, I'm sure he's not going to be brilliant around the office.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]I see you don't work in any sort of professional career as missing an email is actually pretty easy to do on occasion. That being said, if it was on purpose it has nothing to do with social skills, more so lack of business etiquette.[/citation]
I actually work in IT. No, missing an email is not easy to do.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]mazty[/nom]Welcome to the real world. Proving once again that being good at programming tends to negatively affect social skills...[/citation]
Welcome to the real world indeed.

But I know many programmers that have excellent social skills. Granted... probably the only reason I know them is because they have the social skills they need to move up in their respective companies. But hey, that's true with nearly every position with nearly every company.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]mazty[/nom]I actually work in IT. No, missing an email is not easy to do.[/citation]

I work in the real world and get hundreds of emails a day. Dozens claim to be "important" I've missed or misfiled more than one important email on occasion.

Besides there is more to this than him just missing an email.

[citation]Allegra added that his departure from Apple was more complicated than just a forgotten email, and that “it wasn’t a bad ending,” but declined to say more.[/citation]

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]I see you don't work in any sort of professional career as missing an email is actually pretty easy to do on occasion. That being said, if it was on purpose it has nothing to do with social skills, more so lack of business etiquette.[/citation]
Yeah, usually get swarmed with emails and can easily get lost in your inbox unless you go through everyone.

You would think that if he was offered an extension or new role post internship, that at the very least be contacted by his manager or supervisor regarding the subject.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Forgot to reply???

Thats pissweak.
You forget to reply to a mate, or your parents. Not a job offer or contract extension.
It obviously wasn't important to him.

And if he really did "forget", just call Apple up, say "I forgot". Im sure they would be happy to send over a new contract. Duh.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
It sounds to me that it wasn't a "fail to reply to an email", instead it was a "fail to reply to a demand"...

By the way the kid was talking, it sounded like he was negotiating with apple, and of course apple can't afford a raise for one kid, out of the billions of dollars it has...

ashesofempires04

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]It sounds to me that it wasn't a "fail to reply to an email", instead it was a "fail to reply to a demand"...By the way the kid was talking, it sounded like he was negotiating with apple, and of course apple can't afford a raise for one kid, out of the billions of dollars it has...[/citation]

Remote Intern is what Apple referred to him as. Do interns get paid? I can imagine him being like "how about a paycheck, sometime?" and Apple saying "There's the door, don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out."

zmanfx

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
The guy is incredibly talented. I keep up with the iOS jailbreaking scene because there is a lot talent there. That said, if Apple really wants him, they'll contact him back.

G

Yet another reason to hate Apple. They're such a shitty company.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
read the subtext

The Real world is if you really are useful and productive then companies don't fire you even if you forget something.

If you are deadweight, then a company finds an excuse to get rid of you, especially if you give them a reason to.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
forgetting to reply to an email =/= missing an email

the guys contract ended. apple offered to extend his contract but they didnt get a reply. i really cant see whats so wrong about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.