Applications for ".yournamehere" Domains Open Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Well, I could see a benefit to this...

e.g. www.clothes.target would make it faster/easier to get to the point... maybe. I don' t know, this will probably end up being useless for a long time.

endif

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
[citation][nom]TomsSound[/nom]
.icanncashingin
.icannoverpricedaddresses
.icannmakethingsmoredifficult[/citation]

Sounds like a new song from Flobots .icannridemybikewithnohandlebars

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I can see practical uses for it. Getting replacements of the .com/net/org that make sense like .cars or .movie etc. would be highly practical.
The pricing is of course simply insane and one must wonder if iCANN is simply pulling an Apple out of the greed bag or if they use it to artificially limit the number of players.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]So will it be coke.com, coke.coke, www.main.coke or what!? I guess we'll have to start googling what is now obvious.[/citation]

To answer your question, it will just be coke, which i'm sure if you type into you browsers address bar will give you lots of Colombian drug cartel information, instead of zero calorie goodness (err I guess both could be 0 calories....)

I see this as something that simplifies web surfing for major sites, instead of "HTTP:\\www.tomshardware.bestofmedia" it would just be "tomshardware"

Most browsers already auto append http:\\www for you, but you still need the domain sufix, if the domain suffix was the website (removing the .com .gov .net, or the dreaded .bestofmedia) would save me keystrokes.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
@dalethepcman : Yes and no. If the company name is the domain suffix, what is the domain itself? Browers will fill the www (if the domain has one), but they won't fill the domain. I know typing "coke" in the address bar will take me to the main page of Coke. But what will the address itself be? Seems complicated for nothing. Only ICANN will benefit from this...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I can't see any reason for this other than as a cash grab by icann. What problem is this solving? What benefits will this have over the current system?

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]So will it be coke.com, coke.coke, www.main.coke or what!? I guess we'll have to start googling what is now obvious.[/citation]
Could be www.new.coke or www.classic.coke or www.diet.coke. Anyway it doesn't sound too appealing. Coke.com is a lot easier than (insert name here).coke.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I can't see any reason for this other than as a cash grab by icann. What problem is this solving? What benefits will this have over the current system?[/citation]
Yeah, I agree. I never heard anyone claim they wanted this, but a lot of companies will go out and spend a lot of money to buy their name domain simply so no one else will get it, and then turn around and probably never use it.

Seems ICANN has found a legal way to do what the mafia does with the "pay protection money" racket.

Status
Not open for further replies.