Solved! Arc audio questions

Nov 12, 2018
I have a tv mount on the wall above a fireplace. There is an hdmi cable running through the wall and comes out in another section of the wall. I have directv and an audio receiver/blue ray. How do I hook all of this up so I can run arc audio with just this one hdmi cable?

Solution
no such thing as hdmi 1.4 cable etc, its just high speed cable. Hdmi version is the actual port.

Arc just allows TV + apps or whatever connected to the TV to pass uncompressed PCM audio 5.1/7.1 to the AVR. TVs used to rely on optical but this connection could only allow 2.1 uncompressed audio. Some more of the expensive TVs out there may have Dolby/DTS encoders to compress audio over optical but generally most TVs don't to avoid licensing fees.

With ARC you can hook consoles to the TV or run Netflix and get surround sound to the Receiver via Hdmi.

boju

Distinguished
no such thing as hdmi 1.4 cable etc, its just high speed cable. Hdmi version is the actual port.

Arc just allows TV + apps or whatever connected to the TV to pass uncompressed PCM audio 5.1/7.1 to the AVR. TVs used to rely on optical but this connection could only allow 2.1 uncompressed audio. Some more of the expensive TVs out there may have Dolby/DTS encoders to compress audio over optical but generally most TVs don't to avoid licensing fees.

With ARC you can hook consoles to the TV or run Netflix and get surround sound to the Receiver via Hdmi.

Solution
Am not sure if ARC is a HDMI 1.4 thing, but these days, yeah use HDMI 1.4 (at least) cables, and as long as the ports are labeled ARC ur good to go.

Direct TV box goes into an input HDMI port on the receiver. I assume your receiver has multiple HDMI inputs. With a receiver like that you plug all sources to receiver, then a single HDMI from receiver to TV.