Are dvi-d outputs on hdtvs male or female

electronian

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
I see good sales on cables, out there. Since I can't afford an HDTV, right now, or even a nice monitor, I might go ahead and buy a DVI-D dual link cable (for later).
But, I'm not sure whether to get a cable with male connectors, or not, for when I want to hook up a monitor or HDTV with DVI-D dual link output.

My input port is female on my computer. Are dvi-d outputs on hdtvs male or female?

Solution
Even with used sets, DVI inputs are rare and I don't think I've ever come across a DVI to HDMI cable that has a female end. Regardless, yes, both ends should be male.

It really boils down to what resolution your HDTV is going to be (1080p, 1080i/720p, or 720p) and how long of a cable you need. While your graphics card may support DVI-D Dual Link, it may not be necessary to utilize a DVI-D Dual Link cable (good idea for longer runs and higher resolutions). For the record, I'm using a 35' DVI-D Single link to HDMI cable to connect this PC's 8800GTS-640 (DVI-D Dual Link ready) to my 1080p projector. Works without a hitch.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Depending on your needs, anything on this page should suit your needs.

electronian

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
you said go with male. that still doesn't tell me if both ends have to be male. and i'm not looking to try to find an hdmi to dvi-d connector, if that's what you're implying.

I also know hdtvs are not as common to have dvi-d outputs; but, I'll probably be looking at used.

Even with used sets, DVI inputs are rare and I don't think I've ever come across a DVI to HDMI cable that has a female end. Regardless, yes, both ends should be male.

It really boils down to what resolution your HDTV is going to be (1080p, 1080i/720p, or 720p) and how long of a cable you need. While your graphics card may support DVI-D Dual Link, it may not be necessary to utilize a DVI-D Dual Link cable (good idea for longer runs and higher resolutions). For the record, I'm using a 35' DVI-D Single link to HDMI cable to connect this PC's 8800GTS-640 (DVI-D Dual Link ready) to my 1080p projector. Works without a hitch.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Depending on your needs, anything on this page should suit your needs.

Solution