Are laptop usb ports easily bendable?

Toru Ikeda

Estimable
Aug 3, 2014
Hi i recently just bought a new laptop that came free with a usb thumb drive...ofcourse upon purchasing, i tested everything including usb ports etc. So without knowing that the usb thumb drive is bent, i plugged it in as if it were straight i was careful. So im a bit stressed out about this because im a bit paranoid if the item is a bit new, So do you think my usb ports will get bent?

please no trolls because im easilly paranoid. Thanks!

Heres a pic of the usb.
http://tinypic.com/r/s168et/8

Solution
The bend in the USB dongle seems pretty slight. Try to visually examine the port and test a different (straight) USB plug if you want to be certain. If the plastic inside the USB port is still intact and no pins are bent you should be fine. It's when a port gets like this (bottom port)

medium

that you shouldn't use a port (and if the pins touch that can possibly damage the board)

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Laptop USB ports are physically identical to desktop USB ports. They're all sensitive (though it's harder to replace them in a laptop since you can't just add a USB card)

Reversible USB cables and ports are in the making but won't be out yet, much less become standardized for a while due to the huge existing base of non-reversible stuff.

Toru Ikeda

Estimable
Aug 3, 2014

Hi thanks for the info but do you think my port got bent in the process? thanks!

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
The bend in the USB dongle seems pretty slight. Try to visually examine the port and test a different (straight) USB plug if you want to be certain. If the plastic inside the USB port is still intact and no pins are bent you should be fine. It's when a port gets like this (bottom port)

medium

that you shouldn't use a port (and if the pins touch that can possibly damage the board)

Solution

Hi, maybe the USB drive has already been this way, and if you have no problem with it, use it like it is.

Toru Ikeda

Estimable
Aug 3, 2014

Is the plastic thing durable? because thats the one im worried about.

thanks for fast reply!

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

The plastic insert should hold as long as you don't force a plug in the wrong way.

WIUPZwR.jpg

lol

Toru Ikeda

Estimable
Aug 3, 2014

yeah that pretty much answers all my question case closed thanks! :D