Astro a40 headset/mic not detected after installing realtek drivers.

Throw The Ham

Estimable
Dec 7, 2014
I have astro a40s with the mix amp. It was working fine with just the usb cable but i wanted the simulated surround so i got one of these since my graphics card doesn't have an optical port. At first when i plugged it in nothing changed, like it didn't detect the optical cable. So i downloaded the latest realtek drivers. This fixed the sound issue, i get the full simulated surround and equalizer features.

Now the mic wont work, the headset isn't detected at all, it wont even let me install the mixamp firmware (which i already have, just testing things). I know its not a hardware problem with the mic since it was working before i installed the realtek drivers and i can still hear myself talk (a feature with the mixamp).

I tried getting the realtek drivers specific for my motherboard, i read that could be a problem. Still no change. I've tried unplugging it, plugging it back in, restarting pc, disabled devices are shown in the sound menu. Cant really find much in searches.

Throw The Ham

Estimable
Dec 7, 2014
I figured it out.
I noticed my external hard drive wasn't working so i checked to see if the usb cable was plugged in properly. It was in one of the usb3 slots on the motherboard along with the headset. So updating the realtek drivers must have done something to affect the usb3 driver. So i just updated the usb3 drivers and everything works fine.
Seems so simple after all that time messing around.