Astro a40 optical cable

Munkken

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
Hi, ive been using my Astro a40s for 2 years, i bought a soundcard with them because the use anoptical output cable. Today i noticed that the optical port in the soundcard was dark an i think that it should, and also have been lit up. then i turned on the computer and listened to music and i puuled ot the cable and nothing happened. It makes no difference in sound if the cable is in or not. Is there a small difference? Should the port be lit up?

Solution

If audio is being outputted with port will "light up", though it might not leak (so you can't tell).

Considering the rest of your post though, it's pretty clear that you are NOT actually using optical audio, rather just USB. Read your instruction manual (available on the website if you...

If audio is being outputted with port will "light up", though it might not leak (so you can't tell).

Considering the rest of your post though, it's pretty clear that you are NOT actually using optical audio, rather just USB. Read your instruction manual (available on the website if you threw it out) for more information.

Solution

Munkken

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016

It doesnt say anything about it in the manual, i have no idea how to make it use the optical cable

Your motherboard manual should have instructions on how to switch system audio from USB to optical.

On the mixamp side it should just be plug and play, unplug the USB from the computer and plug in the optical (and make sure the USB is getting power from something else)

For the most part though, the mixamp is made to be used with USB only, so why bother?